sarthur1

Fantasea bayonet + non-fantasea wide lens

Hey all

I want to buy my rig a wide lens, the only problem is I have the fantasea bayonet system (not gonna replace it).

How can I know which lens fits this system?

I was considering the Fantasea uwl-400q but I'm looking for a more budget friendly one.

I have Fantasea FA6500 + sony a6300.

Thank you all

If you already have a Fantasea bayonet on your housing that is the female component you need to mate that with a Fantasea male component on your lens.  So presumably you already have this http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.A/id.781/.f?sc=2&category=490

or perhaps an earlier model.  Then you would buy this:   http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.A/id.794/.f   which mates with the 400Q lens.  It seems you remove theM52 thread part from the lens and replace it with the bayonet linked here.  The bayonet is custom made for each lens.

So unfortunately if you want to keep using the Fantasea bayonet on your housing port you need to get a Fantasea wide angle lens.  The alternative is a new male and female bayonet designed to mate with an M67 mount lens plus the lens itself.   On lens choice, to a certain extent you get what you pay for - cheaper models are often not zoom through - they only really work well around the widest zoom setting on your lens and a lot of the really small ones are only designed for compact (small sensor) cameras, so image quality at the edges is not as good on larger sensor cameras.

16 minutes ago, sarthur1 said:

Maybe,  I'm assuming then that you have this adapter and you want to use it with a wet wide lens?  Well any wide lens with an M67 thread might fit- it will depend on the shape of the back of the lens, the dished section on the top of the adapter  might not allow the threads to reach the female threads on the adapter. 

As to lenses less than $400, there are quite a few around the $170-$200 mark but these seem mostly to be air lenses, just a dome which restores the field of view of the lens to what you get in air, so they don't go go particularly wide 24mm full frame equivalent is not that wide for UW work.  Kraken has one (KRL-12) that takes you from 24mm to 21.5mm, which is a little better.  Hardly seems worth the effort really, but still it will be an improvement on the approx 32mm field of view you get from the bare lens in the flat port.  You generally won't get the ultra close focusing ability of the more expensive lenses and certainly won't get the expansive field of view.  Whether you'll be happy with this will depend on what you want to shoot with it and how fussy you are about optical quality.

Many of the lenses seem to have a flat back section which might not fit in your adapter, so you would be looking for ones that look like they do and trying them for fit. 

2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

Maybe,  I'm assuming then that you have this adapter and you want to use it with a wet wide lens?  Well any wide lens with an M67 thread might fit- it will depend on the shape of the back of the lens, the dished section on the top of the adapter  might not allow the threads to reach the female threads on the adapter. 

As to lenses less than $400, there are quite a few around the $170-$200 mark but these seem mostly to be air lenses, just a dome which restores the field of view of the lens to what you get in air, so they don't go go particularly wide 24mm full frame equivalent is not that wide for UW work.  Kraken has one (KRL-12) that takes you from 24mm to 21.5mm, which is a little better.  Hardly seems worth the effort really, but still it will be an improvement on the approx 32mm field of view you get from the bare lens in the flat port.  You generally won't get the ultra close focusing ability of the more expensive lenses and certainly won't get the expansive field of view.  Whether you'll be happy with this will depend on what you want to shoot with it and how fussy you are about optical quality.

Many of the lenses seem to have a flat back section which might not fit in your adapter, so you would be looking for ones that look like they do and trying them for fit. 

thank you!

Sponsors

Advertisements