Scubavinny

New Video Camera Suggestion

So I usually take still shots underwater but recently my wife has wanted more video.  I have a GoPro 9 Black but I don't really like how everything looks.  Does anyone have suggestions for a decent dedicated video camera?  Thanks in advance!

Something more decent of a gopro 9 means more time spent filming and more tecnical effort.

Could you elaborate a bit about your typical diving and what you don't like about a gopro?

I like you was into pics only and then decided I wanted videos to memorialize the underwater experience. After wasting money, I finally bought a Pro-sumer Sony, Gates Housing with wide angle port. The port allows for complete zoom through with the Sony and I love it. 

So, I would recommend similar set up (your brands of choice)for you. I would recommend dual video lights (not cheap) or a single wide beam 10,000 lumens.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Scubavinny said:

So I usually take still shots underwater but recently my wife has wanted more video.  I have a GoPro 9 Black but I don't really like how everything looks.  Does anyone have suggestions for a decent dedicated video camera?  Thanks in advance!

I think an idea of your budget would be really helpful.  You can spend $ all the way from a few hundred for a go-pro to full featured dedicated video housing where the housing alone is in the range of $10-20,000.  Do you want to use lights? again huge range of pricing, weight and travel bulk for them. Also as Davide says what don't you like about the go-pro? It is possible to get quite nice video out of a go-pro in the right circumstances.

I don't really have typical diving.  My wife and I do a lot of travelling and do a lot of different dives.  I will say that we spend most of our time in the Caribbean.   The problem I have with the GoPro is wide angle.  I have seen some attachments that will allow for better wide angle underwater, but they are $400 in themselves.  I don't mind spending the money, but before doing that, I would like to weigh my other options.  My budget for a dedicated video camera without lights and accessories would be about $1500.  

Thanks 

Edited by Scubavinny

18 hours ago, Scubavinny said:

I don't really have typical diving.  My wife and I do a lot of travelling and do a lot of different dives.  I will say that we spend most of our time in the Caribbean.   The problem I have with the GoPro is wide angle.  I have seen some attachments that will allow for better wide angle underwater, but they are $400 in themselves.  I don't mind spending the money, but before doing that, I would like to weigh my other options.  My budget for a dedicated video camera without lights and accessories would be about $1500.  

Thanks 

In my opinion, to have a better wide angle camera than GoPro, you have to spend lots of money, and it won't be travel friendly

23 hours ago, Scubavinny said:

Thanks 

I think the problem is there's not a lot to choose between a go-pro range item and something better until you get to something like $2,000.  For example a Sony RX-100IV  plus Fantasea housing and a wet wide lens would be about $2,000.  A Canon G7X-III would be similar price and have better manual white balance than a Sony mKIV.   I purposely picked the mkIV (orV) as it has the 24-70 zoom meaning it will work in a single housing without vignetting or other compromises unlike the newer 24-200 models and is around $400 cheaper.  Are you planning on shooting with or without lights?

As Marcell & Cris pointed out, getting something even slightly better than a GoPro means spending a lot of money and it wouldd require dedicated skills.

Maybe you could try with a used kit. On the classified forum i have seen several great deals. You wrote that you take pictures. Today all cameras do video as well. What kit do you have? Maybe with a loittle expense you could use it for video as well.

One las thing: a Gopro 9 if used well is capabel of getting great results. Especially in shallow water and tropical reefs where a red filter makes the difference. At greather dephts you need lights. Most of the uglyest video I've seen shot with GoPros were shot without lights or insufficient light. A basic rule of thumb to get decent results with GoPros is to never, ever go up in ISO values.

Bye

Definitely get something last gen and used as your money will take you much further on the used market. Something like a Panasonic LX10 (which is still the current model, but not brand new on the market) or even a Panasonic LX100, a Sony RX100 series that is not the very latest or something similar. 

Instead of deciding on the camera and then buying new, decide on a budget and then see what comes up first. For the average amateur most relatively recent 1inch compacts will give good results in video. 

Do not underestimate the skill required to get enjoyable footage though, especially in terms of stabilisation and planning of shots. My wife takes short video clips with an old LX7 and while the image quality is actually pretty good for such an old camera, the lack of stability and vision of the end result makes it very hard to edit the clips into a 3-5minute movie. 

You could also look into the Olympus TG6 and housing if you want a compact camera ($6-700).  If you are looking for something with an interchangeable lens then you cold look at the Olympus EPL10(Camera and housing on sale for $1,200).  You can build up either system with wet lenses and lights as you need them, with the EPL10 you can change out the lenses (and ports) for wide angle or macro if you don't want to go with wet lenses.

I currently use the EPL10 for stills but I am looking to start learning Macro and CFWA video in the near future.

Sponsors

Advertisements