Peterpan

Sony A7SIII underwater grading test

On 12/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, Davide DB said:

Is it worth filming in log underwater?

Thank you Peterpan for sharing.

Davide, I agree with you in most of the time you do not need log especially if your shooting with lights. As you know there is not enough contrasting dynamic range to be captured underwater unless you are in there shallows.

I mostly shoot in ambient light and when drift diving and the sun is bright at a low angle in the seen, it might be a solution IMHO.

10 minutes ago, thani said:

Thank you Peterpan for sharing.

Davide, I agree with you in most of the time you do not need log especially if your shooting with lights. As you know there is not enough contrasting dynamic range to be captured underwater unless you are in there shallows.

I mostly shoot in ambient light and when drift diving and the sun is bright at a low angle in the seen, it might be a solution IMHO.

Actually in the last few months I've been filming in V-Log with mixed results. I'm still not fully convinced. I'm probably a beginner with color correction. We'll see.

Hi 

I'm using SLOG-3 and experimenting with various LUTS. My question is: Does shooting in LOG seem to degrade autofocus accuracy or sensitivity? There seems some disagreement about this on terrestrial forums. (Let's assume I want to shoot in AFC not MF)

Thanks,

Doug C

On 1/8/2022 at 6:40 PM, dougorama said:

Hi 

I'm using SLOG-3 and experimenting with various LUTS. My question is: Does shooting in LOG seem to degrade autofocus accuracy or sensitivity? There seems some disagreement about this on terrestrial forums. (Let's assume I want to shoot in AFC not MF)

Thanks,

Doug C

There is no degrade in autofocus with SLOG-3. 

The Sony A7SIII has the best dynamic range in SLOG, don't know why not to use it. Furthermore you have a very high second base ISO at 12800 with the A7SIII in SLOG3, nice for 60 and 120fps footage and you can keep the aperture closed. The flat footage is a good starting point for grading as well

Sponsors

Advertisements