ido

Tips to avoid blurry edges ?

Just now, Isaac Szabo said:

A fisheye lens has strong barrel distortion. It sounds like you have enabled a distortion correction in Lightroom that is removing the barrel distortion by stretching out the edges of the image (removing the barrel distortion from a fisheye image is also called defishing). The distortion correction is degrading edge sharpness and reducing field of view. You should turn off the distortion correction/lens calibration in Lightroom. 

thanks. I will try it

Here it is without the auto correction: It looks much better

_Z721377-Edit.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This. Normally for a 10 mm I apply a 15 mm fisheye correction, if you use too much correction it will look too bad like your photos.

Edited by stillviking

16 hours ago, Isaac Szabo said:

A fisheye lens has strong barrel distortion. It sounds like you have enabled a distortion correction in Lightroom that is removing the barrel distortion by stretching out the edges of the image (removing the barrel distortion from a fisheye image is also called defishing). The distortion correction is degrading edge sharpness and reducing field of view. You should turn off the distortion correction/lens calibration in Lightroom. 

Exactly! If you enable the "lense correction" (I don't know the exact term, my version is in French), the software will crop the picture and stretch the image to restore straight line (compressing the center and stretching the edge). As it seems a good idea for rectilinear lenses, with fisheye this process is extreme and will induce important softness in corners. Turn this off on those pictures and you will see an improvement (and a totally different perspective). 

• Like 1

But do keep that setting checked (Enable Profile Correction) for other (non-fisheye) lenses. Generally you want to fix the lens distortion for all lenses except for the fisheye.

10 hours ago, Andrej Oblak said:

But do keep that setting checked (Enable Profile Correction) for other (non-fisheye) lenses. Generally you want to fix the lens distortion for all lenses except for the fisheye.

It may be your personal preference to always enable distortion correction, but that is not a good general rule to recommend for everyone. Distortion correction reduces sharpness/resolution, so for me personally I would never enable it unless I feel a particular image is improved by it. 

6 hours ago, Isaac Szabo said:

It may be your personal preference to always enable distortion correction, but that is not a good general rule to recommend for everyone. Distortion correction reduces sharpness/resolution, so for me personally I would never enable it unless I feel a particular image is improved by it. 

Tend to agree, a little bit of barrel distortion is usually not noticeable UW except perhaps on wrecks with straight lines involved.

Sponsors

Advertisements