JDelage

Snorkeling in Hawaii with GoPro Hero 10 - what more do I need?

We're going to Hawai'i this winter and I just got a Hero 10. We'll do a bit of snorkeling including one night with manta rays. I have some experience with UW photo, but none with GoPro...

Questions to you all:

- Do I need a housing for snorkeling? I expect to go no lower than 30 ft / 10m (max!)

- Do I need a filter, or set of filters?

If yes to any of the above, do people have strong recommendations for a housing or filters? My default would be to just get the GoPro accessories...

Thank you!

If it's anything like the seals on action cams they are not as robust as an o-ring which you can service yourself (clean and lube) on a housing.  I would want to use a housing myself. 

Also as a side note o-rings work better the deeper you go so being shallow is not much of a plus.  I'll let others more familiar with go-pros answer your filter questions.

A GoPro 10 is perfectly waterproof up to 10 meters, but using an underwater housing doesn't hurt either. On the contrary. It protects it from accidental opening of the battery compartments etc. from sand and other dirt. All you need is a third party case from Amazon.
If you are filming on the surface while snorkeling, I don't think you need the red filter. Rather, for shooting on land in bright sunshine it would be better to use an ND filter. You can find many types on Amazon.

I also just bought a GoPro Hero 10 --- any tips on the best settings to use for capturing video? (e.g. "Narrow" vs. "Linear," steadiness, lighting settings, etc.?) I found that my old GoPro (Hero 5) was often pretty bouncy, even when I had the stabilizing option on. Also, interestingly, in low light the video always came out better than still photos did. Settings seem especially important because the low-tech housing I've used doesn't let you manipulate the touch screen underwater ;)

Edited by Icehead

I'd use the widest setting available - you're going to lose FOV underwater due to refraction, so the narrow will be pretty narrow. 

The Hypersmooth stabilization on your 10 will be worlds better than your old 5. 

Sponsors

Advertisements