james

Member Introductions

Hello to Everyone,

I am Svilen from Bulgaria. Certified technical diver, but recently started shooting underwater more seriously as I got a Sony RX100 VII rig with Sea & Sea D3 strobes a year and half ago and I kinda ditch the technical diving for UW shooting hah.

Very keen on diving and helping others become divers.

I've been reading the forum for quite some time and I think I can share something interesting now.

As usual I couldnt withstand not taking my better camera - Nikon Z6 II - underwater, so I got my hands on a used Nauticam NA-Z7 box with some ports, etc. just to realise my Z6 II does not fit.
Yes, I had to read about that before I made the purchase, but nonetheless I started experimenting and even though Nauticam and all dealers suggested I shall buy the new box - I managed to convert the box to fit Z6 II camera.

Thus I'd like to share my experience and how you can do it yourself so no need to upgrade the expensive and great Nauticam box for Z6/Z7 along with the Nikon body.

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums and excited to be here to learn. I went to school for digital arts and focused on music/audio engineering. However, I did have the opportunity to play with film and photography in my time there.

Now, ten years later, I am revisiting photography. I am an active outdoor individual. I am either diving, surfing, skiing, climbing, biking, list goes on. I'm assembling a new rig so that I can photograph my friends and places I go.

Posted (edited)

Hello, US diver, VERY much an amateur. Dive with an RX100 M3 and Sea&Sea YS-01. At least i did, wondering whether i should get the YS-01 repaired or just replace it (posting elsewhere).

Edited by tung

Aloha- my name is Simon -  a lapsed member due to parenthood and overwork. Trying to get back into underwater photography and videography as I'm passionate about nature and using communications to help protect it and want to get out of losing my soul in the race of rats. Haven't got much imagery to share - photos are all tied up in Aperture (now defunct) and a few instagram movies on wildrlives (my tag/handle on insta)

Speak soon

S

I started with Nikonos back in the 80's. Because clients wanted to see the condition of the underwater structures I was inspecting, I switched to video in the 90's. I had a couple of Light and Motion video setups. Now that those inspections can be completed with a GoPro, I've gone back to still photography. I've got a Nikon in a Nauticam housing and have been experimenting with many different lenses.

Good Dives,  Charlie

Hello - I am brand new to the site.  I had heard of it years ago, but never signed up.  I have am a Dive Master who has been in the water since 1993 and got into underwater photography around 2017 when I started doing the "bigger trips" around the world.  My current setup is a TG-6 (started with the TG-5), with dual Sea & Sea YS-D3 strobes.  I get nice shots, but want to take it to the next level.  I purchased a Canon EOS R a few years back with plans to put a underwater rig together for it... but COVID slowed this even though I was still getting trips in during COVID.  I am in search of a housing for my EOS R that I can use with my existing strobes and I also have some old gear I would like to sell.

Hans

Hi,

my name is Dera, I’m new in here, happy to be part of this community.

I’m John, from Fort Wayne, IN.  I have been seriously diving for the past 13 years.  Currently in the process of upgrading my setup.  I look forward to learning new things here.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, gcachon said:

Underwater photographer (no video), almost exclusively from Bonaire. Here is where I post my stuff:  my Flickr images.

Incredible images from what I've seen so far!!! Absolutely mesmerizing! what are you shooting on???

-Clark

Posted (edited)

Hello from Southern California in US.  I been diving consistently since 2014 mostly traveling to Asia, Indonesia to dive.  I dive in the summer & warmer fall times in here in So Cal but I don't think i will ever get too comfy in the 50-60+ F degree water here.  I mostly shoot underwater video w action cam setups and recently added a Insta 360 X2 for 360 videos.   Just a little selfie screenshot of the 360 Video at Florida this month visiting the Goliath Groupers

Looking to get more serious about underwater videography setup, wide angle or macro

GG Selfie.jpg

Edited by tsuyoshi

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I'm from Sydney,  Australia. I've been interested in photography for a very long time (on and off) but now have been taking underwater photos for the last 4 years. I currently use a Nikon D810 in an Aquatica housing but planning to upgrade it.

Here is me face underwater :)

Cheers,

Parr 

diving.jpg

Edited by parrazad
added an image

So, I have not been on the forum in probably a few years. Not exactly a new member.  I do still follow the Facebook and Instagram pages. My work schedule which is travel have had me out of the water a lot the last couple years although one trip was an underwater inspection in Vegas. 

A friend twisted my arm into booking a trip to Bimini at the end of September. I bought an R5 a while back but I had not decided if I was going to take it underwater. Well I got a housing for it and now need to get my stuff all together. I am trying it with my old standby of the Sigma 15 fisheye but it seems maybe a bit sluggish. So here I am back to get the good advice and tips from those that do this more than I do. 

On 6/16/2004 at 12:55 AM, james said:

Hello my name is Constantinos Petrinos and I shoot with Nikon D800s in Seacam underwater housings. My interest is macro photography and the Lembeh Strait in particular where I wrote my book "Realm of the Pygmy Seahorse". Photos of the book where taken with analog gear namely Nikon f4s in Subal Housings and Nikon f5s in Seacam housings. 

Edited by ConstantinosPetrinos

Hi! My name is Graydon. I've been diving for a long time (since 1992; how on earth is that 30 years!!?), but only taking photos since 2017. I'm a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, although to be honest I haven't taught that much. I live part-time in northeast Bali, where there is a wealth of great macro diving, all accessible from the shore, and tank rental and delivery is ridiculously cheap, so I try to get out a few times a week. I have been taking photos above the water for a long time, but underwater photography has definitely been a steep learning curve. 

I shoot with an Olympus TG-5 and a Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe, and the strobe is starting to give me grief, which is my original motivation to join this forum.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157685039206852&type=3  for a few photos. (I hope that link works; it's from FB, but it's supposed to be public.)

P8250124.jpg

Edited by Graydon
Adding a photo

Hello,

I’m a marine biologist and divemaster from Ireland but I’m about to begin travelling around south east Asia and Australia.

I’ve taken my camera on maybe 50 dives so far so it’s still all new to me and this seems like the best place to soak up some knowledge!

I’m still undecided on focusing on either macro or wide angle, but I studied sharks for a while and think that’s the path my photography will follow too

I’m shooting on Sony a7r iii in a sea frogs housing with a pair of ys-d2 strobes

I everyone!  I've been diving since 1998 when I got certified in Minnesota.  I have done a lot of my diving in Lake Superior on the wrecks in the Apostle Islands and on the North Shore.  After moving to Colorado, I took a little hiatus from diving but recently got back into it and have decided to upgrade from my learner camera (Sea Life DC 500 w/ strobe and wide angle wet lens).   So... that's how I wound up here while obsessively researching the next step.   Love the site and thank you to the hosts / moderators who have developed this into what it is :)  

For some reason it won't add an image from my Google Drive so Here's a link to some of our cold water diving up north in case anyone is interested in diving on 100+ year old wrecks and other cold water antics:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e2u0xhE1v7RmQAvZXaMgMtAq4mVWhtLg?usp=sharing

Hi

I am Unes and I have been diving since 2001, I am currently living in San Francisco bay area. I am an amature photographer and just upgraded to a mirrorless set up, that I have no idea how to use yet

Cheers

Unes

4 minutes ago, unesn said:

that I have no idea how to use yet

:lol2: Fabulous!

Welcome, Unes!

Hi Wetpixel Community,

I'm a dive instructor and photographer in Los Angeles.  Google searches always lead me back to wetpixel forums, since this truly is the hub for all underwater photo knowledge.  Looking forward to learning more from everyone.

Best,

Tai

Hi all,

I'm an experienced diver and instructor in a diving club in London, UK. I mainly dive around the UK and particularly enjoy more adventurous diving around our less visited shores.

I recently got a TG5 and have enjoyed taking a few shots. I'm intending to upgrade to something more advanced and move on from there.

Looking forward to learning a lot!

Chris

Hello I’m Samir from Arizona, look forward to connecting and learning from you all!

Sorry forgot to include that I currently shoot a Sony A7iii with Isotta housing, mainly WA and fish ID shots. I really like pelagic expeditions recently and have been to Baja recently for sharks and the Marlin run.

I’m debating on whether I need to upgrade now and sell my current rig that’s what initially drew me to wet pixel.

1 hour ago, Flatirons diver said:

Would hope someone can help.

What do you need help with? The idea is to introduce yourself to the community on here...