Davide DB

New OM-1 Olympus WOW Camera -VIDEO features discussion thread

It looks like not all that much is better. Still 20mp and so far no announcement that multishot modes are so much faster that they are usable, although underwater that was probably not going to happen anyway. I think now might be a good time to get an Em1mkII for me...

• Like 1

It looks like they have just pasted the parts they can see on the Olympus released teaser photo onto an EM-1 MkIII body image.  We'll see tomorrow as to how accurate it is.

I believe Olympus is going to put a lot of effort into the computational photography aspect of the hardware in the camera.  I don't know how that is going to be useable for us as underwater photographers.

Only time will tell, but I know Ill be on the lookout for used gear as people jump off the micro4/3 ship if the new camera falls flat.

I've bee n following the leaks too, and so far do not see any "wow" factor. The new higher resolution OLED finder will be nice.  Otherwise there's not much new that will matter UW.

#1.: The rumors say that the sensor will still be 20 Mpixel, but is based on a quad pixel technology and be BSI. In a special readout mode this new technology may bring 2 EV improvement in DR and of noise in the shadows...

#2.: AF is rumored to be substantially improved...

We have to await now what the new OM1 cameras' abilities will be in real life. I believe that #1 and #2 are the current weak points of MFT in UW photography (But I am whining here at a high level). In case the OM1 has indeed much better AF and DR, compared to previous models, I would call this a very good start for the new company and an upgrade from EM1II may well be worth...

Wolfgang

"A diamond is forever" says a famous ads... "Everything else is not" I add.

I hope I will not be forced to change everything. I'm still convinced that M43 is the perfect system for uw video. IMHO going FF is a complete BS.

We will see

I think it's quite likely that they will have improved AF. It was already better with Olympus than with Panasonic.

Would not recommend this camera for underwater video. There is one internal codec 10bits and it is 420

The other issue is that the OM-Log profile is not great and the others are a bit coarse

Sponsors

Advertisements