Hi just enquiring if anyone has had the same issue with cracked handles. 

The handles on my DSLR Nauticam housing have cracks on both handles at the base where the screw attaches to housing. Is this a common issue? 

I would hate it to snap while I have my 230 glass dome attached!

93AF29B5-CD73-4287-839A-951FE6C0CE9A.jpeg

6D4D42B2-F357-4F4A-8393-091D7B9BA63B.jpeg

Some earlier reports here, they note were replaced under warranty:

I assume you have the upper stainless plates installed - they were developed as a response to issues with the handles if I recall correctly.

Yes I do they are attached to the housing as well .

Not good. I would talk with the dealer and ask for replacement handles.  If that fails, you might consider writing the president of Nauticam, send him several photos and ask for replacements, they should be free or low cost.  And meanwhile, I would not dive with this housing, too risky.  

Nauticam handles, pair:  large SKU 28113, small SKU 28123 - US $122 + tax + shipping at Bluewater.

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Thanks I’ll contact the Nauticam dealer here in NZ.

If you look at the images of the current D500 housing on Nauticam's webpage  which looks quite similar to your housing handles they appear to be using bolts with a larger head.  Your housing is using standard socket head cap screws.  The bigger screw heads will spread out the load more so than the cap screws will.  The change is possibly a response to failures in the past? 

I also see one of your photos I can see a shaped gasket under the handle taking up the space in the groove on the mating face of the handle, It is not visible on the other side - is it installed.  This may also be assisting in spreading the load. 

Thanks Chris I’ll look at how the new handles are designed, just waiting to hear from my local Nauticam dealer in regards to warranty if any.

Hi. I'd be interested in hearing about the outcome of your Nauticam correspondence/warranty claim as I have just had my handle break. (The metal insert in the base where the screws attach pulled right out when I picked the rig up by the handle)

Thanks and regards

Scott

Bonaire

(Nauticam EM5 Housing with standard tray and left handle. No base plate attached at the top -it's a small rig).

About 3 yrs ago one of my Na d500 handles cracked.this was just after my friends Na d800 handle cracked.Nauticam sent me a replacement handle under the warranty.Seems like not too much has changed with Nauticam over the years except the price of their equipment-up about 30%.They are now in the Subal/Seacam range with some of their products.

Yes, I too was taken aback by the sudden increase in Nauticam prices.  I had a Nauticam housing for my D500 which worked well, but it was so complicated inside that I was unable to service its many lever joints or replace the small O rings. 

So I replaced it with a Subal housing, which is a delight, simple and sturdy, easy to maintain and when the time comes, easy for me to replace all the O rings. 

Just in regards to my cracked handles, Nauticam did not cover them under warranty and I had to buy new ones, So a black mark against Nauticam I'm afraid if this is a common issue let's hope they have fixed it.

Posted (edited)

I have used several makes of housings, they have all protected the camera and have been easy to take pictures with. 
But when it comes to housing long term use and maintenance, my Aquatica developed rusty metal fittings, Nexus-Anthis was a bit skimpy on design, Ikelite was plasticky, and Nauticam was overdesigned making it almost impossible to self service, and now has a big purchase price and expensive maintenance pro fees. 

All around, in my experience with housings, Sea&Sea and Subal seem to be the best: simple practical design, tough build, easy to maintain, and available for a reasonable price. As the Subal housings have a better, tougher finish and work for many years without maintenance, for me Subal tops the list.

Have used Subal, Aquatica and SEACAM gear for personal and commercial work… SEACAM is/was super expensive but superior in build quality…

Posted (edited)

"Superior in build quality..."  wish one could say the same of Nauticam, which has now become rather expensive.

Seacam housings, such as its D500 housing, have only electric sync ports to fire the strobes, but are without transparent ports for fiber optic cables, a real inconvenience as fiber optic is the preferred way to fire one's strobes.  

Also, it would be nice if all housing makers adopted a standard  lens port mount so that one could use available ports, such as the Sea&Sea three lug mount.

Although I have had no problems with the three Nauticam housings I have owned, I am alarmed at the recent price increases and when needing a small part recently I was shocked that a M10 thread adapter I had misplaced, something I expected to be overpriced at maybe $25.00, was priced at $56.00. 

image.png.f4778ad998e561feeef69f08e472334c.png

Starting from scratch, or for the next housing I might look at Subal.  I know nothing about the quality of Sea&Sea.  I was curious and looked for the dimensions of the Subal D500 housing and could not find them.  Anyone have a link?

55 minutes ago, Draq said:

Anyone have a link?

It's here, John. Check out the ND500 manual PDF.

As you know I have a Subal D500 housing. Superb. It's actually my 6th Subal. (P5000, D100, D200, D300, D800... D500) They have all been terrific - flawless.

Tim:

Maybe I am being really dense, but I looked at the manual from the Subal website and could not find dimensions.  I just checked again and still cannot find that.  I am hoping you are mistaken, or if not, I may need to go see a neurologist or something.

Hi, all I could find is the air weight: 2 kg.  The height, width and depth, as a rough guess, will be about twice the camera dimensions.
Also, you might email or phone Subal, they are most helpful.

Subal GmbH
Schulgasse 2
1180 Wien
Austria
Tel: +43 7252 21112
E-Mail: austria@subal.com

1 hour ago, Draq said:

Tim:

Maybe I am being really dense, but I looked at the manual from the Subal website and could not find dimensions.  I just checked again and still cannot find that.  I am hoping you are mistaken, or if not, I may need to go see a neurologist or something.

Argh! I see what you mean! Sorry...

I've just measured mine - but only have a cms measure:

with handles: 31cms long

without handles 20 cms long

13cms wide

19 cms high

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks Tim.  Really I am just curious about the size.  I am not buying a new housing at the moment.  I do like the Subal housings, though.

Sorry all for the thread drift. 

Crayfish:  Nauticam warranty is, I believe, two years; same as other brands.  Is your housing within warranty?

If so, or even if it is only a bit out of warranty, perhaps you should reach out to Nauticam directly or straight to Edward Lai, and see if you can get a better response.  I believe if all else fails, he is on facebook and can be reached that way.  Did the local dealer look at the handles and/or make any determination of cause for offering no help?

FWIW, with the top bracket on there, you should not have much risk of the handle completely breaking free and the housing falling from your grasp.   Not to say you should not get the problem fixed.

One of my Subal housings dates back to 2005, and it still is in practically new shape, everything works as it should, including the original O rings with no leaks or sticking, and the handles with no cracks.

Sponsors

Advertisements