Jolly

Ikelite E-TTL converter works with 5 pin bulkhead?

Hi guys,

Canon E-TTL (no matter if I or II, etc.) is basically driven by 6 pins. The Ikelite E-TTL converter ( https://www.ikelite.com/collections/ttl-converters-1/products/dl5-ds-link-canon-ttl-converter-ikelite-ct1-hotshoe-and-b1a-bulkhead-kit ) seems to be hooked up to a 5pin bulkhead? Is that correct? Do you know which contact is left out?

Thanx

Julian

I believe the protocols are quite different.  Ikelite does all of the TTL electronics in the TTL module and the strobes are basically manual strobes.  TTL modules in housings talk with the camera and then use a more universal TTL protocol to talk to the strobes. Strobes such as Seacam and OneUW are dedicated to to being Canon or Nikon TTL strobes.  Also the Canon protocol is digital and many UW strobes use an analog protocol for TTL.

I know. Strobes are still fired by classic Nikonos TTL protocol (film days). But camera to converter electronic is E-TTL which basically always has got 6 pins. However Ikelite has already responded quickly and confirmed that their electronics just use 5 pins out of E-TTL. Which is different to other solutions but obviously works.

Posted (edited)

Canon HotShoe has 6 pins for digital TTL protocol.  But one pin of them ("Autofocus assist.") is usually bypassed by hardware or by firmware in underwater housing TTL system.  The other 5 lines are in use for TTL protocol communication. 

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. That's interesting information. Glad it's just the focus assist that is left out and not the basic X-Sync.

Are you bound to UWT converter developement?

13 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Are you bound to UWT converter developement?

Yes, i am electronics engineer.

• Like 1

Just now, Pavel Kolpakov said:

Yes, i am electronics engineer.

...... not to mention an incredible source of knowledge and help on the whole issue!

Sponsors

Advertisements