Jolly

Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160 combination with TTL?

Hi,

using a DS-125 & DS-160 together - I wonder if this combination is fine for an Ikelite TTL-converter upgrade?

From my understanding strobe power output is controlled by burning time (not by intensity). If DS-160 & DS-125 have the same bulb, they would output same amount of light with the same time frame. As TTL controls the burning time it should work without problems? Has someone run different DS (125/160/161/...) strobe combos with TTL? 

Thanx

Julian

The key question is if the strobes use the same xenon flash tube or not.  The other thing that may impact is if the electronics are the same, bigger capacitors may dump their charge faster.  The same question was asked a few years back but no conclusive answer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQs8_kmr_2AhUNS2wGHdK9Ca0QrAIoAXoECAIQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwetpixel.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F25903-ikelite-ds125-and-the-ds160-on-one-set%2F&usg=AOvVaw3Ol4dlDA1vA7Gs4BzQByCY

The capacitors are indeed bigger in terms of capacity because of the higher juice rating (higher full dump output by longer burning duration). Assuming the tubes are identical that does not lead to brighter light output (within the same burning duration) because I expect the capacitors voltage rating is unchanged (only higher capacity).

Ikelite says using DS125/160 with TTL „is fine“. 

Posted (edited)

DS125 and DS160 have similar TTL-curve in main part of TTL control range.  I checked this pair using UWT TTL-converter, some difference in DS125/DS160 lighting existed, but was acceptable.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

1 hour ago, Jolly said:

The capacitors are indeed bigger in terms of capacity because of the higher juice rating (higher full dump output by longer burning duration). Assuming the tubes are identical that does not lead to brighter light output (within the same burning duration) because I expect the capacitors voltage rating is unchanged (only higher capacity).

Ikelite says using DS125/160 with TTL „is fine“. 

seems to be confirmed in this post from a few years back: 

On 3/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, Pavel Kolpakov said:

DS125 and DS160 have similar TTL-curve in main part of TTL control range.  I checked this pair using UWT TTL-converter, some difference in DS125/DS160 lighting existed, but was acceptable.

OK thanx. Some difference in amount of light?

19 minutes ago, Jolly said:

OK thanx. Some difference in amount of light?

Some difference exists, because of capacitors, but as for me it is acceptable for most of cases TTL shooting.

If manually perform a full energy flash discharge, the difference can be more visible.

But in case of aged strobes like DS125, you also even can see a difference between 2 strobes just because of concrete strobe capacitors condition / age. Electrolytic capacitors are not very stable in longtime usage.

Manual full dump shows capacitor's capacity difference (power rating). Approximately half f-stop. Within DS-125 power range TTL response shouldn't differ by design. Small differences due to aged capacitors / serial spread / etc. is fine for me as this would apply to combined identical strobe models as well.

Sponsors

Advertisements