Marsh

Want to buy: Nauticam 25056 Bulkhead Electrical Connector and 25019 M16 to M14 Adapter

Want to buy Nauticam 25056 Bulkhead Electrical Connector and 25019 M16 to M14 Adapter to try electrical connection for my Nauticam a6500 rig.

I use optical for TTL, but shoot usually in manual mode, so want to experiment with my Sea and Sea dual electrical cable with my two Z-240's. 

Thank you,

Marshall

My understanding is:

an Optical cable connection allows both Manual and TTL shooting, and 
an Electric Sync Cord allows only Manual shooting.

As you already "use optical for TTL", it seems that the addition of an electric cable may not increase your ability "to experiment".   

The a6500 doesn't have the ability to lower the flash power, so each shot takes a full flash recycle, which can drain batteries quite quickly, not to mention the wait for the flash to be ready to fire again. I shoot mostly macro and I take my time looking for "the shot" and not squeezing the shutter constantly like I used to as a novice. LOL So optical is not a problem most of the time. 

In a fast moving environment, recycle time is crucial.  While one loses the camera TTL when using electrical connection, the recycling time is a thing of the past in comparison, at least from what I've read.  Plus, the Inon-Z-240's have their own auto mode with their own onboard sensor to give auto exposure at a given f-stop. I'm never used this, but it could come in handy if it worked properly with electrical trigger, especially since my f-stop setting are usually pretty much set most of the time.

Having both optical and electrical systems available allows one to "experiment" with what works best for a given shooting situation. 

If any one has ever used the Inon's in this Auto mode with electrical connection, I'd love to hear your experience. 

M

An LED trigger will give you the speed and battery saving that you look for without the hassle of electrical cables and their o-rings. With a TTL-capable one like UW-Technics, you can switch between TTL and manual modes through camera menu.

Posted (edited)

Interesting, I didn't realize I could get another TTL trigger other than my onboard flash. Of course, the a6600 doesn't have a popup flash, so this is what those Sony users must use for TTL.  I also own a Sony A7RIV which I've considered getting a housing for, but my a6500 rig is smaller and set-up so nicely.  The A7RIV has no built in flash either and must use the technology you're referring to or an electrical connection. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

M

Edited by Marsh

Hey Marsh

Yeah lots of us use a non-camera trigger.

As Barmaglot suggests, check out UW-Technics - I've used one of their's happily for many years and their creator, Pavel. is a regular and very helpful contributor here.

There's also the Turtle series. https://www.trt-electronics.com. I've never used one myself but if you search on WP you'll find lots of opinions on them.

Regarding UW-Technics vs Turtle, both have pros and cons.

UW-Technics triggers consist of a PCB, sometimes with integrated LEDs and sometimes with a separate LED board, and a cable that goes to your camera's hot shoe. They are shaped to fit a specific housing brand and often some model line as well, so moving one to a new system when upgrading can be difficult or impossible. They're powered by button cell batteries (typically CR2450, sometimes CR1220) which are not rechargeable but typically last a very long time. Conversely, the Turtle trigger is a sealed box that is housing-agnostic, but it's somewhat bulkier, so if your housing is an especially tight fit around your camera, there may be fitting issues. It is powered by an internal battery and charged via USB; as I recall being told, in practical use, you need to top it up every few days or so. It also has PC/Mac USB connectivity, so it is user-updatable, whereas the UW-Technics board can only be updated by the manufacturer. Both systems can be used with both LEDs and electric sync cords, provided your housing has the appropriate bulkheads.

One downside of the UW-Technics system is that there is no 'low battery' warning on it. I've had several instances where the CR1220 batteries on my unit ran low during a dive, which made the LEDs flash too weakly to trigger the strobes, but popping up the on-camera flash did nothing, as the board still had enough power to report its presence to the camera, which overrides the pop-up flash. Worse, every few minutes, it would shut off, which allowed the pop-up flash to function, then just as I'd line up a shot, it'd get a trickle of current again and ruin another photo opportunity.

Finally, TRT Electronics is based in Hungary, whereas UW Technics is in Moscow, Russia - with the recent events, ordering something from the latter may prove somewhat difficult.

Lots of good info!  I did some checking and am drawn to the Turtle device for some of the reasons above.  I just wrote Turtle tech asking if their Sony device fits and functions  in both the Nauticam NA-a6500 and NA-A7RIV housings and cameras.  Both the a6500 and A7RIV use the same Sony multi-interface hot shoe and same flashes, so I think it will work with either camera, but as you mention it's a matter of whether there's sufficient space to fit both housings and be interchangeable? The UW-Technics units are not interchangeable.

I own both cameras and use an N85 to N120 adapter with mostly FF lens and all FF ports (Canon 8-15FE, Kenko 1.4 TC and Sony 90 macro w/ a 4.33 FE & M port) for my a6500 system, so I've considered at times to upgrade to FF. However, the smaller size of APS-C rig and use of my S16-70 Zeiss lens (which I use for a single dive WA & SM & Video, using a 67mm swing mount attached to the wings of a 4.33 FE port), keeps me loving my APS-C rig. That along with the use of the Canon 8-15 and Kenko TC keeps me from making the leap. Of course, this setup will work with FF with slightly less lens versatility....seems like everything is a tradeoff :-) 

Given these TTL triggers are pretty pricy, I wouldn't want to purchase two TTL triggers should I eventually make the move to FF.  Hopefully, the Turtle Sony system is interchangeable between the two cameras and housings.  I'll let others know when I hear back from them.

Thanks for all your help.

Marsh

Sponsors

Advertisements