Sign in to follow this  
rwb500

how did he take this photo?

A guess is he sprinkled some finely chopped food for the crab, or else, somebody picked up and dropped the crab, and N More photo'd  it as it drifted down. But these are just guesses, it might be better to write and ask him.

This photo is another excellent reason why he was named British Underwater Photographer of the Year, some of his admirable uw photos are here:

To feed the crab one would need very finely chopped food on the order of 100 microns as the longest dimension. I have seen and shot these feeding but all I could manage (with the RS and 50mm lens) was looking down on it in its anemone. Kudos for the angle, lighting, as well as not disturbing it (it was feeding so behaving normally).

Just to stress-there is no feeding going on here!

Porcelain crabs frequently erect these "nets" to filter out food from the water. It is a common and completely natural behaviour, although rarely captured as beautifully as Nick did.

Yup, extremely difficult to feed these. I have had several opportunities but never did manage to get that perfect shot like Nicholas More :-( Hopefully will ....some day :-) 

Even with a great opportunity, this is the best I could do.

Thanks Alex for the link. 

Diggy

_MG_2393.jpg

_MG_2402.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements