Sign in to follow this  
SoulDiver

Places to Stay in Tulamben, Bali

Hi all! My wife and I are travelling to Bali in August, and I am looking to get a few days diving in. My wife is not a diver, so I am trying to find some middle ground. Somewhere we can stay that is not dive related, with shopping nearby. It doesn't have to be Tulamben. Any thoughts?

I've stayed a few times at Tauch Terminal at Tulamben which was very good. Last time though was 2016. Time flies. German run, on the beach with a nice pool setting and gardens. Good scuba operation and very close to the Liberty wreck. Some local eateries nearby but not much in the way of shopping. Nice place though to lounge by the pool with a Kindle.

The only shopping area I’m aware of in Bali (other than the ethnic stuff in Ubud) is the Kuta area not too far from the airport but a good distance from diving and Tulamben. There are a number of classic style malls there. It wouldn’t be practical to stay around there and dive Tulamben. It’s about 3 hours by road. I'm not sure I'd recommend Kuta either!

Thanks Tim.

Very helpful. Having a look at Tauch Terminal now.

One can also stay at Amed , which is about 30 minutes from tulamben by drive. Last I had stayed at Kembali beach bungalows. 

Very reasonable and right across the beach.   http://kembalibeachbungalows.nl

At Tulamben have stayed at several, but the last one that I liked was liberty dive resort.  http://www.libertydiveresort.com

An hour 15 minutes away from Amed/Tulamben is Candidasa or even Padang Bai.

Have not been there though since 2018.

Diggy

• Like 1

I also stayed at the Liberty Dive Resort (maybe 6-7 years ago) and enjoyed it. Very convenient. 

- brett

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Shops are mostly around the Kuta/Seminyak/Canggu areas for fashion or Central Ubud for design, arts, etc. None of these areas are close to the dive spots, however Bali is a rather small island although plagued with traffic jam.

Tulamben has the best diving in Bali so I will second the Tauch Tulamben recommandation for STAYING. My non diving wife and myself have been happy to stay at least once or twice per year for the last 11 years, COVID excepted (last stay in december 19). Pretty grounds, very conveniently located, gorgeous view on the shores of Tulamben.

That said, I never dive with their dive shop but rather with either a freelance dive guide or Liberty Dive Center (when he's not available) who will come to fetch me every morning. If you want specific names PM me.

Shopping and culturally wise, your wife will be more happy in Ubud, but it is at least 2hrs drive. She can hire  adriver in Tulamben (very easy, contact Ricky transport at Liberty for instance, or any restaurant downtown will arrange you that) and take a tour around : a full day around the island might cost around 50-60USD.

Padang Bai (which is not 15 minutes but rather 1 hr drive from Tulamben) is also worth diving (local macro dives and daytrips to Nusa Penida or Gili Tepekong/Mimpang for Mola mola or mantas), a little closer to Ubud, though still 1,5 hours drive away..

Edited by Luko
  • Like 1

I also stayed at Tauch Terminal before and dove exclusively 1 on 1 with Wyan.   Best part was you can customize your diving experiencce, requirement and time table and do  1 on 1.   This is the only way to dive if you want to do serious macro.   I ate every meal except one onsite, so it's pretty limited but diving was the priority back then.   I would recommend stay a nite or 2 in the busy tourist area just to experience the busy Bali, Kuta, Jimbalan, etc.   If you are rich and famous, by all means try Four Seasons and Bulgari Resort. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements