I have posted a few times recently and had good response and advice, thank you.

on a recent trip I found a small subject on sand and was happily clicking away, using ambient light/custom white balance, when the next guy approached with 2 large video lights on, he was not shooting at the time, just getting set up. I tried to indicate to him to turn them off until I had finished, but he misunderstood and thought that I was asking him to be careful not to kick up sand.

Later, in the bar, looking at my pink Sea Moth on pink sand, he said, “No problem, just Photoshop them” problem is, I have never used artificial light yet, so have not developed proficiency with editing.

so the big question is, “Is there a recognised hand signal for, ‘Please turn off your lights’ ?

At the beer table the other guy and I suggested that, if he did it again, a single, raised digit would suffice.

All input welcome.

Some people are oblivious and some understand but don’t care. I’ve encountered all kinds, including a guide who literally elbowed me away from a coral fan while I was actively shooting Pygmy seahorses then pulled his client in front of me!  (We had some strong words later on the surface). I don’t know a signal for lights off, but I would have tried an upturned hand “back off” motion.  

I don’t know if others use American Sign Language while diving, but my college room mate and Iof mine and I enjoy carrying on conversation by that means while underwater. It probably isn’t generally accepted, but the “lights off” sign could probably be adapted for use underwater in this circumstance. 

Driftc, thanks for a very good suggestion, perhaps the guy will take to that idea if I suggest it to him. Alternately he might read the gesture as, “A Moray is about to bite your head” which would probably work as well.

The ironic part of that incident is that the guy kicked up so much sand that he did not bother to film the subject.

thanks again for the suggestion.

Hotglove,

I thought about responding and then the words of wisdom on a T-shirt that my kids gave me (I wonder why LOL) occurred to me instead: DGMS

Don't Get Me Started.

Must. Not. Get started...

Tom

The hand signal shown in the video posted by @Driftc is what we use and teach in technical diving. The motion done in "reverse" is for turning a light on.

We use the same hand signal for opening and closing tank (cylinder) valves. If the context does not make it obvious what thing you're talking about, then one would point at the light (or valve) and then give the hand signal to turn it off (or on).

Sponsors

Advertisements