SaltyFlippers

New Paralenz model in 2022?

I'm a beginner, and debated on posting here or in the beginner forum.

I use a GoPro 7 which was given to me by someone who no longer wanted it.  My videos at depth don't look great, probably because I don't use filters.  I like the concept behind the Paralenz cameras, which apparently do automatic color correction based on depth.  Cool!

The Paralenz Vaquita appears to be 2 years old.  The model before that was released approx 4 years ago.  This makes me think a new version is coming out this year.  However, supply chain issues might mess up that timeline.

Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of a new Paralenz model this year?

The Paralenz automatic color correction based on depth is more limiting than helpful, in my view, for a couple of reasons:

1. Water conditions vary a lot. You need different color correction in Cayman water than you do in a nutrient Indo-pacific waters. The algorithm isn't smart enough to account for that, and it takes the control over color correction out of your hands

2. Ambient light footage just doesn't look great below 12 meters or so regardless of what white balance you do. You need lights.

Paralenz also has some other notable limitations, like not having good image stabilization or a usable monitor for framing your shots. I'd strongly encourage you to go down the GoPro or housed iPhone route instead. Here's a good video on the subject:

• Like 1

I didn't say anything yesterday because I didn't want to sound too negative, because I've never owned one.  But it does not seem like the most successful product in the world, so I would not expect a new model this year.  It is not necessarily going to have a predictable timeline like a Canon camera or an iPad.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:31 AM, dreifish said:

Paralenz also has some other notable limitations, like not having good image stabilization or a usable monitor for framing your shots.

Is the display just too small to be useful?

The Paralenz Vaquita does have a small screen that can be used to see what the camera is pointed at, but it is tiny compared to the screens on a GoPro 10 and an iPhone. How good are your eyes? (LOL)

I usually recommend that people consider image quality when they comparing Paralenz cameras to the GoPro camera lineup. In my opinion, at 23 megapixels, the GoPro 10 out classes the Vaquita's 12 megapixels.

In terms of cost, GoPro offers some really great prices on cameras and accessories. The Vaquita is pretty pricey as compared to a GoPro 10.

If I was a tech diver and interested in documenting some deep dives without purchasing an expensive housing for a GoPro, the Vaquita would have some appeal. But, going deep isn't an something I'm interested in doing.

-Tinman

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements