Sign in to follow this  
froop

New case for my gear

Posted (edited)

Heading off to Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji this weekend, and picked up my equipment case with new CNC cut foam inserts just in time!

The open square areas I'll use for assorted small stuff like strobe cables, spare orings, grease, chargers etc.

The case is a HPRC 2760, which is exactly 158 linear cm (62 linear inches) so is as big as a checked bag can get with most airlines before being considered over size. By the time I add in the extras, it'll probably end up around 23-25kg, which falls under most (but not all) airline international check bag weights.

camera-housing-case1.thumb.jpg.be8344af94cce375105b6b19785570eb.jpg

camera-housing-case2.thumb.jpg.23171190f0bb969eff3d437ce9fa2f30.jpg

Much better than the previous effort from a different supplier, who found it too hard to do a two-layer fit out:

camera-housing-case0.jpg.e0bda152c32cb27230e89416c7fb8de1.jpg

Edited by froop
  • Like 2

Wow, super nice cutting! Just never change your gear, right ;)

Nice work! Who did the custom foam? 

wow, that is nice.  How does it work?  How do they get everything to fit?  Do you have to measure it all for them?  Do you design it and they just cut it?

Wow.  It is a "work of (c)art!"    (Sorry; could not resist)

Curious...why chose HPRC over Pelican or Nanuk brands?

13 hours ago, rwb500 said:

wow, that is nice.  How does it work?  How do they get everything to fit?  Do you have to measure it all for them?  Do you design it and they just cut it?

First thing I did was set up a tripod looking straight down, then took photos of each piece of equipment, getting pics showing the front, side and top of each piece.

Then brought them into a photo editor, and scaled them to the right size. Created notes about my preference on how to store them, or how many (eg, multiple arms, clamps, strobes, etc), and created a PDF with all items scaled and measurements marked.

Then placed them all how I thought they could fit onto the right sized template.

Then sent the place a PDF of everything, got a quote, then actually left all the gear with them. They double checked all my measurements, and designed it all up in CAD, then cut it all out in a throw-away cheap foam to check tolerances, adjusted CAD and then cut it for real.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Draq said:

Wow.  It is a "work of (c)art!"    (Sorry; could not resist)

Curious...why chose HPRC over Pelican or Nanuk brands?

Nanuk cases weren't on my radar at all - haven't come across them much at all. Maybe just not common in Australia?

Case choice really came down to weight and dimensions.

The Pelican 1610 is a touch too small, and not quite deep enough hold my housing or float arms upright. Plus not being part of the Air range, weighs a bit more that the 1637 and the HPRC.

The Pelican 1637 is a similar volume and same linear length as the HPRC 2760, but its deeper and shorter, whereas the HPRC is shallower and longer.

This gave me less depth, but more area to work with. The depth of the HPRC was perfect for my housing and also to fit my float arms vertically. Getting the depth right meant more efficient use of the three dimension space

Edited by froop

That’s awesome! Would you be willing to share the pdf/CAD drawings you developed?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements