makar0n

Full Frame - body, lenses, mounts and more questions when going FF

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tom_Kline said:

Yes!!!

I think examples are needed! Many seem to want to upgrade without articulating a good rationale or two, etc. The average Joe might do well with something even less than what the OP has. I see a lot of Sealife and Go Pros when diving in Hawaii. The only local (to me) that has given an UW presentation used a Sony 100 model with wet lenses - the results wowed most people in the audience although the pix were not all that sharp. The projector may have been dodgy as well (I used a different venue when called).

The one problem we average Joe's have is articulating those rationales. since we do not have access to multiple bodies nor, living in cold, dark places, buddies with housings, to test things in the wet way...sometimes we get carried out with the "ooooo shiny shiny new toys" rationale, which then requires numbers therapy ;)

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:20 AM, makar0n said:

The one problem we average Joe's have is articulating those rationales. since we do not have access to multiple bodies nor, living in cold, dark places, buddies with housings, to test things in the wet way...sometimes we get carried out with the "ooooo shiny shiny new toys" rationale, which then requires numbers therapy ;)

Yup - have to spend quite a bit of time on line. Zero people near to me with the same interests as well. No dive shops. No camera stores....

Nonetheless I have had to make the instant decision. This was the case when I ordered the Z6 - within the hour of its introduction. The live stream from Tokyo was at a good time for Alaska - in the evening of the previous day here. I had been in the market for a "sidekick" to my FF housed Nikons which I wanted to take on trips due to the Nikonos lenses (rather than the Canons that I had use up to then and had the 7D2 as my sidekick). I was challenged to decide between the 7200, 7500 and 500 as they each had pros and cons. With the Z6 there was no hesitation.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:22 PM, Tom_Kline said:

Yup - have to spend quite a bit of time on line. Zero people near to me with the same interests as well. No dive shops. No camera stores....

Nonetheless I have had to make the instant decision. This was the case when I ordered the Z6 - within the hour of its introduction. The live stream from Tokyo was at a good time for Alaska - in the evening of the previous day here. I had been in the market for a "sidekick" to my FF housed Nikons which I wanted to take on trips due to the Nikonos lenses (rather than the Canons that I had use up to then and had the 7D2 as my sidekick). I was challenged to decide between the 7200, 7500 and 500 as they each had pros and cons. With the Z6 there was no hesitation.

Just when i thought that it is Belgium that is in the middle of nowhere...well fair enough, Alaska wins in that category, your distances are multiple times of Belgium as a whole :D

Well was looking at Z6 but the housing, at least Nauticam one is one heavy piece (albeit allows for a "free" upgrade to Z7 as it accepts both). Luckily we Euros are safe from all those live stream temptations being usually soundly asleep.

I'll add my two cents as a current D850/Nauticam shooter.   I've been shooting this rig since 2019, and I shot a D810/Nauticam rig for 4 years before that.  Before that was 1 year with RX100 II (Nauticam) and a series of Canon point-n-shoots in Canon housings (SD630 through s120).

Each bigger camera has been harder to carry, and much more specialized once I got to DSLR's.  My latest iteration is even more specialized - D850 with snooted strobe on 105mm macro.  With the snoot, I'm very limited even in macro, and non-macro use of the lens in that configuration is almost eliminated.  I don't like fisheye, so my other option is 16-35 behind a 230mm dome.

Tends to be very specialized in what I shoot, and even when in terms in wide angle (sunny).  The weight and cost and logistics are horrendous.  My rig with 16-35 and 230mm dome with dual strobes is 32 pounds to carry to the water.  Same rig for macro is 20 pounds.

Why is this acceptable?

Because I've already got all the pics I can stand from point-n-shoots with no strobes, point-n-shoots with strobes (RX100), and standard and easy shots with D810 and D850.  I want something different, and that means different shots (or different locations too).  Hence my foray into snooted macro, which is high-risk, high-reward.  May not get many shots from it, simply due to having to be so close to subjects, but when I get something, it might be spectacular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phxazcraig said:

Hence my foray into snooted macro, which is high-risk, high-reward.  May not get many shots from it, simply due to having to be so close to subjects, but when I get something, it might be spectacular.

Amen to that!

For "might", I'm sure there's a fair few "is"!

11 hours ago, phxazcraig said:

I'll add my two cents as a current D850/Nauticam shooter.   I've been shooting this rig since 2019, and I shot a D810/Nauticam rig for 4 years before that.  Before that was 1 year with RX100 II (Nauticam) and a series of Canon point-n-shoots in Canon housings (SD630 through s120).

Each bigger camera has been harder to carry, and much more specialized once I got to DSLR's.  My latest iteration is even more specialized - D850 with snooted strobe on 105mm macro.  With the snoot, I'm very limited even in macro, and non-macro use of the lens in that configuration is almost eliminated.  I don't like fisheye, so my other option is 16-35 behind a 230mm dome.

Tends to be very specialized in what I shoot, and even when in terms in wide angle (sunny).  The weight and cost and logistics are horrendous.  My rig with 16-35 and 230mm dome with dual strobes is 32 pounds to carry to the water.  Same rig for macro is 20 pounds.

Why is this acceptable?

Because I've already got all the pics I can stand from point-n-shoots with no strobes, point-n-shoots with strobes (RX100), and standard and easy shots with D810 and D850.  I want something different, and that means different shots (or different locations too).  Hence my foray into snooted macro, which is high-risk, high-reward.  May not get many shots from it, simply due to having to be so close to subjects, but when I get something, it might be spectacular.

Hi Craig,

Just out of curiosity: when once Nikon will have mirrorless bodies, both for DX and FX, that offer better IQ and AF compared to the present D500/D850 and you will be at the stage of upgrading - would you switch to DX (because of the immense stuff to carry) or remain with FX (because you prefer the ultimate IQ)?

Wolfgang

On 6/25/2022 at 11:43 PM, Architeuthis said:

Hi Craig,

Just out of curiosity: when once Nikon will have mirrorless bodies, both for DX and FX, that offer better IQ and AF compared to the present D500/D850 and you will be at the stage of upgrading - would you switch to DX (because of the immense stuff to carry) or remain with FX (because you prefer the ultimate IQ)?

Wolfgang

Hah!   Far from it - I've got a Z9 on order, with the aim of getting it into a Nauticam housing.  Even more bulk than I carry now.  I've already got the 105s macro and the 50F1.8s lenses sitting here, plus an FTZ II.  Waiting for Nikon to ship me the Z9.

Now as for this being better IQ and AF, I'm figuring marginal differences there.   Shooting the D850 at ISO 64 is ... about as good as it gets for IQ, given good lens and lighting.   Z9 is still only 45mp, which I already have.   And I've got no complaints about the D850 autofocus.  I started using 3D while at the Digital Shootout in Bonaire and was quite happy with it.  I see the Z9 as being at least that good, which is all I need.

Where I see a BIG difference coming is in video, and live view still shooting.   This will help me walk a snooted focus beam onto a subject whereas the D850 was just useless in that situation when it came to autofocus.

Mostly this is just gear acquisition syndrome, probably coupled with last camera syndrome.  If I don't treat myself now, it will never happen.  The cost difference is completely unjustifiable - but then so were all the previous cameras and lenses!

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements