Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

Updating Camera Gear????

So after a 7yr hiatus from diving we have retired and are ready to dive back in!!!  We are reviewing our camera gear and deciding what needs to be fixed, junked and replaced.  

The wife shoots the Canon HF G30 (1090max) in a Gates housing.  The video on our 4k TV still looks great.  She loves macro but not really techy.   The flexibility/point and shoot function of a camcorder works for her.  BUT she finds the housing with lights a little big.  

1. Is there anything out there smaller and as flexible as her beloved camcorder that is 4k? 

2. Her old Big Blue lights are shot.  What minimum 6k lumen lights, in the reasonably priced category, do people like?  We are not super picky about the "color" happy to play with a little in post.

I have my Sony RX100 V, Nauticam housing, WWL-1, and CMC-1.  Been happy with the results.  Anything newer, better but still in the compact camera class?  Mainly shoot stills.

Thanks!

On 6/24/2022 at 12:44 AM, NWDiver said:

So after a 7yr hiatus from diving we have retired and are ready to dive back in!!!  We are reviewing our camera gear and deciding what needs to be fixed, junked and replaced.  

The wife shoots the Canon HF G30 (1090max) in a Gates housing.  The video on our 4k TV still looks great.  She loves macro but not really techy.   The flexibility/point and shoot function of a camcorder works for her.  BUT she finds the housing with lights a little big.  

1. Is there anything out there smaller and as flexible as her beloved camcorder that is 4k? 

2. Her old Big Blue lights are shot.  What minimum 6k lumen lights, in the reasonably priced category, do people like?  We are not super picky about the "color" happy to play with a little in post.

I have my Sony RX100 V, Nauticam housing, WWL-1, and CMC-1.  Been happy with the results.  Anything newer, better but still in the compact camera class?  Mainly shoot stills.

Thanks!

Can't help on the video question, on the stills question, the Sony RX-100V is probably as good as it gets in that class of 1" sensor camera, the VI and VII have longer zooms, which help with macro but you need to change ports to a short port to get the best out of the WWL.  The issue is the standard port is quite long to accommodate the lens zooming to max focal length so the WWL vignettes and you have to zoom in too much to avoid that. 

Also no idea on the video side except another compact like Panasonic LX10 but not sure if that is an upgrade really. I like Weefine/Kraken lights for their value per money performance. 

Your RX100v setup is still pretty much state-of-the-art. Not much happening in the compact market these days. 

Sort of what I thought, thanks.   I love the RX series, not great at the extreme ends, super macro/natural light wide angle but plenty good for me.  

I looked around and found Canon made a new 4k version of her camera.  Looks identical, will drag the housing down the local camera store and see if it functions.  

I've sent you a PM about a video light I have for sale.

Thanks!  We have decided to remodel....there goes the dive gear budget, lol.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements