Hello WetPixel,

I am trying to decipher the Inon Z330 power settings.

Maybe best is to show what I understand to be the power output based on the setting (showing my understanding in table below)

5a916e5c7cfef593220645a95033207f.jpg

1. First Understanding = you only get a full dump when in “M Full” Flash Mode. In the “M -0.5 -6”flash mode you only get less than full power. Is this correct?

2. Second Understanding = each full negative stop you half the output power. Is this correct?

3. What does EV stand for? Exposure Value?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct on all 3 points.

The circumstances where you need to use a Full power dump of the strobe are few and far between. I don't think I've ever done it except by mistake. Most of the time I use between 1/8 to 1/4 power with my Inon 330s. I mostly dive in the Pacific Northwest with darker conditions and more particulate in the water and overpowered strobes are not your friend.

Only in very bright conditions, say a shallow reef, lots of light, and very clear water would I be likely to use even 1/2 power. If you were using a snoot on your 330 that might be another reason to use 1/2 or higher power.

You are correct on all 3 points.
The circumstances where you need to use a Full power dump of the strobe are few and far between. I don't think I've ever done it except by mistake. Most of the time I use between 1/8 to 1/4 power with my Inon 330s. I mostly dive in the Pacific Northwest with darker conditions and more particulate in the water and overpowered strobes are not your friend.
Only in very bright conditions, say a shallow reef, lots of light, and very clear water would I be likely to use even 1/2 power. If you were using a snoot on your 330 that might be another reason to use 1/2 or higher power.

Thanks for that! Yeah I am trying to better understand my Z330s. I am usually shooting at 1/2 or 3/4 power and not lighting up enough reef — therefore feeling I am getting some settings wrong.

I am gonna try to get nearer and also play with my camera settings so that I can get good exposures at that 1/8 to 1/4 range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get close, raise your ISO to maybe 400, slowly open the aperture, set shutter speed to get the desired background lighting.

8 hours ago, Pomacentridae said:

Thanks for that! Yeah I am trying to better understand my Z330s. I am usually shooting at 1/2 or 3/4 power and not lighting up enough reef — therefore feeling I am getting some settings wrong.

I am gonna try to get nearer and also play with my camera settings so that I can get good exposures at that 1/8 to 1/4 range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on what aperture you shoot a little.  I'm using olympus EM-1 MkII and shoot my fisheye lens at f8 and generally have my Z-240s at 3/4 power using ISO200, I could probably get closer and reduce power a little, but I do prefer to stay at base ISO.  I'd expect your Z-330 to be half a stop brighter. 

It depends on what aperture you shoot a little.  I'm using olympus EM-1 MkII and shoot my fisheye lens at f8 and generally have my Z-240s at 3/4 power using ISO200, I could probably get closer and reduce power a little, but I do prefer to stay at base ISO.  I'd expect your Z-330 to be half a stop brighter. 

Oh perfect. I am also shooting at f8 and ISO200. So I guess that is about the same. Will play around with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements