Hello,

I would like to get thoughts, experiences and recommendations on AOI viewfinders.

I am choosing between the AOI UMG-01 (straight) and the UMG-05 (90 degree viewfinder).

I am leaning towards the 90 degree one as it'll be useful shooting low to the seabed and when in the prone position. One issue I am kind of seeing is when shooting in the upright position, I will be looking down while trying to see my subject directly front me. Would that be difficult? Is it such an issue I should also get the straight one? Or from your experience will you be able to adjust to it?

9cac7713f3ad5e70eaf274d765c3cda2.jpg

5087b7fb7bfffccd619f73d3e95c3398.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Pomacentridae

I've not used either of the AOI viewfinders but do have some thoughts on adapting to a non-straight (for want of a better term) one.

It does take time for sure and, to start with, it can be hard to find the subject! But after a few dives it gets easier until it becomes second nature.

You have identified the big bonus with, in this case, the 90-degree finder: uou can get low and shoot up. This makes a significant difference both to your ability to get into a position to be able to actually take a photo; and to the perspective and compositions you can achieve.

If you search on the posts, you will find one or two WP members who couldn't adapt to non-straight. But there are lots who swear by the 45-degree ones (including me - for over 15 years). I'm sure a 90-degree one will be very similar.

Hey there Pomacentridae,

I in the same position as you.  I am looking to add a viewfinder to my EPL10, I do wish AOI had a 45° view finder. I think this would be the best all around compromise.  I wonder if anyone local to me rents the view finders.

Hey there Pomacentridae,

I in the same position as you.  I am looking to add a viewfinder to my EPL10, I do wish AOI had a 45° view finder. I think this would be the best all around compromise.  I wonder if anyone local to me rents the view finders.

I was able to try both out in the store. I realized you can’t really compare the two.

The straight one is really a magnifier. It makes the image look twice as big. It really allowed you to see all the details on screen amazingly clear. However you really need your eye on the viewfinder to see it clearly as there is no eye relief and there isn’t really a viewing angle. Also it is more like a 15 or 20 degree angle.

The 90 degree one on the other hand is really just two mirrors that allow you to see the screen at an angle. It however isn’t really 90 degrees. More like a 70 or 65 degree angle (between a 45 and 90). Versus the straight viewfinder, there is some eye relief to 90 degree viewfinder. You can keep your eye about an inch from the viewfinder and still see into it. And there is a bit of viewing angle, which is helpful in targeting as you can look forward and still see into the viewfinder from your periphery. This made it comfortable to use and aim.

I went with the 90 degree option because that was really my need. But the straight viewfinder was also compelling because of the magnification, like nailing details was so easy with it.

Will be diving with it next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, Pomacentridae said:

I was able to try both out in the store. I realized you can’t really compare the two.

Will be diving with it next weekend.

I appreciate your comments.  I would also appreciate a follow up about your experiences with the new view finder.

Sponsors

Advertisements