ClaireCohen

Advise Please - Port /Lens Options for Close Focus Wide Angle Photography

Hi folks ,
Just looking to pick your brains on options for wide angle close focus lenses/ports .
I have a Nauticam housing for a canon FF mirrorless (N120 port opening) . I think my lens options are either a Canon 8-15 fisheye or Tokina 10-17 fisheye . Any recommendation for either & if so what are the best port options (Nauticam or other makes)
Any advise much appreciated !
Claire

50 minutes ago, ClaireCohen said:
Hi folks ,
Just looking to pick your brains on options for wide angle close focus lenses/ports .
I have a Nauticam housing for a canon FF mirrorless (N120 port opening) . I think my lens options are either a Canon 8-15 fisheye or Tokina 10-17 fisheye . Any recommendation for either & if so what are the best port options (Nauticam or other makes)
Any advise much appreciated !
Claire

The Tokina 10-17 is technically an APS-C lens, though some use it on full frame cameras.  The corners are not quite as good as full frame lenses, from some tests I've seen though that was on 30MP cameras, the newer higher MP models will show it up more   The general advice has been to not use it on full frame.  You other alternative is the sigma 15mm fisheye.  see this post for example: 

Use them in the Nauticam 140mm dome.  If you are interested in ultra CFWA squeezing last bit of magnification out of the lens you could try a 4" dome, but the corners won't be as good on reef scenics.  The sigma won't fit in a 4" dome due to the fixed hood though.

I don't know the answer to this, but others might. The Tokina 10-17mm cannot be used on Nikon mirrorless as it is a screw drive lens, and the Z series (and the ZTF adapter) no longer supports this. I imagine this is probably the case with the Canon mirrorless too?

I think the Tokina is really for use with a cropped sensor as Chris Ross has pointed out . So , I'm thinking either a Canon 8-15 fisheye with the Zen Underwater 4" glass port  or the Nauticam 4.33" acrylic port .

Can anyone recommend either ?

Ta !

1 hour ago, ClaireCohen said:

I think the Tokina is really for use with a cropped sensor as Chris Ross has pointed out . So , I'm thinking either a Canon 8-15 fisheye with the Zen Underwater 4" glass port  or the Nauticam 4.33" acrylic port .

Can anyone recommend either ?

Ta !

The Tokina probably works on Canon as they never made screw drive lenses, the AF drive is in the lens always, but that's moot as it an APS-C lens. 

The 4" port will certainly work as will the 4.33" though for regular reef shots the corners may be a little soft with full frame, but will work for CFWA images getting you closer to your subject.  You will be around 20mm further away from your CFWA subject using the Nauticam 140mm dome which is the recommended dome in the port charts.  It all depends on how much you would like to compromise to get closer.

I'd suggest going with the Canon 8-15 and possibly the kenko 1.4x converter. Using the bare lens will only by viable at the longest setting for CFWA, so the 1.4, whilst taking a minor hit in IQ (and on my Nikon it was very minor, not enough to be concerned about at all) will give you a lot more options. 

I have a zen 4" dome specially for the 8-15, and you need a 20mm extension if you want to use the converter as well.

Corners won't be as good as a 6" dome, but if it's CFWA you're after, I'm not too sure this will be an issue?

Nauticam do a 140mm dome but this will need different extensions to the zen dome. 

Mike

• Like 2

I routinely use a Canon 8-15mm fisheye with my Sony A7III and an Aquatica 4" glass dome. I really like the setup as I mostly use it in small streams where I need to cramp my camera between rocks to get close enough of critters, it will be impossible with a larger dome. The downside is corner softness, which really is up to your preference. Here's an example of an uncropped crayfish picture. Of course, the cropped version don't really show the softness.

DSC02309.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For CFWA, and specifically Close Focus Wide Angle, what you/we want is to focus very close to the subject (almost Macro) , but at the same time, include the background details (where and how the subject lives) in the photo frame.

Please see below an example, also taken in a river (Switzerland) and not in the sea. A water snail lying on the bottom of the river, under a bridge.

For such photo, i am using the Tamron SP 20mm F/2.8 Di III OSD M1:2, a great lens despite its very low price. It allows Macro at 1:2 and allows to include decent background and almost 100° Field of view when focused at the Minimum Focusing Distance which is 12cm.

To achieve this very short Minimum Focus Distance, i am using a 100mm dome port (N100) on a Nauticam Sony A1 housing. No extension ring. I have 10cm between the focal plan and the front of the dome. Which leave 2 cm...

The image is uncropped. And you may see that corner stay sharp.

2021_05_026.jpg

Edited by lambee01

Thanks you for sharing this @lambee01 that's a lovely picture, great image quality!

I saw other people acheiving great results with small domes and 20mm prime. 

Sponsors

Advertisements