Sign in to follow this  
Deep Snapper

S&S YS300 with DX90 Auto

Hi all,

I am considering of getting another strobe to work with my DX90Auto. I saw a good price on a sceond hand S&S YS300 (a discontinued model). Can anyone advice whether thsi strobe would work well with the DX90 Auto?? If i set the YS300 in Slave TTL mode, would it fire according to the setting of the primary strobe (ie the DX90 Auto)? I intend using this strobe mainly for wide-angle photography so having the possibility of setting the YS300 in full, 1/2 and 1/4 modes would work well (with a housing with dual bulk-heads) Still, in any other situation, would it be possible to fire the YS300 in slave mode with the DX90 Auto, having the power on the YS300 regulated by the burst given by the DX90 Auto. Pricing is an issue. If I manage to get this second hand model at a reasonable price... it might be a good option.

(I currently use a Nikon 995 in Aquatica housing but got the D70 with 12-24 and waiting for a housing which will 99% be the new aquatica with twin connectors. I wish to use the strobes on both housings)

Please Help!!

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

This will be tough. If the YS90auto only fires on the camera's main flash, then you might get this to work. You could use the YS300 as a slave off of the YS90 but it would be one heck of a big slave! Make sure no light leaks out from the camera to set off the YS300 on the preflash.

The 300 was discontinued and replaced by the 350 because the battery pack on the 300 has a way of exploding. Might want to be careful.

James

Thanx James,

No preflash is present. I fire YS90 through sync chord and always on manual. (NO TTL support as you know). But after a couple of 'tuning shots', i manage to get decent exposure. That is why i thought that the YS300 might be a good cheap option. True... it would be a hell of a big slave!

A

i've logged many dives using the ys 300. The problem is you can't get replacment battery packs, as they stopped making them when the ys350 came out. At one point it took me a nation wide search until someone found some sitting on a shelf someware. The same future is probably in store for the 350

my biggest question is this....

would it be possible to fire the YS300 in slave mode with the 90 Auto, having the power on the YS300 regulated by the burst given by the 90 Auto? (equal to the maula setting on the 90?)

No, the 300 would have to have a built in TTL slave sensor and I don't think it does.

James

The YS-300 should have a slave sensor built in, hence the Slave mode on the selector switch in the pic. However I'm not sure you'd have much joy with it. The strobe will most likely burn brighter than the YS-90, hence running as slave it will cause the YS-90 to shut off earlier than intended, due to the YS-90Auto sensor seeing the YS-300's light. Make sense?

In some scenarios it'll probably work, others probably not.

As an aside, I'd be very interested to know how well the 90DX and 90Auto's work as a "buddy pair". Obviously you should be able to run either as the master, giving you auto or manual capability.

Martyn

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements