Posted (edited)

These two photos are of a skeletal nudibranch that my dive guide, Peri Paleracio, found on a choral wall in Balayan Bay, 
(Anilao) Philippines. It was about 40 - 50 mm long if memory serves me, and moved very slowly as if it was an animated stick machine.

Any idea as to is ID?

(Nikon D800E, Nikkor 105 mm, Subal housing, 2 S&S YS-D1strobes. 14 April 2016)

_DSC1022.JPG

_DSC1023.JPG

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

1 hour ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

These two photos are of a skeletal nudibranch that my dive guide, Peri Paleracio, found on a choral wall in Balayan Bay, 
(Anilao) Philippines. It was about 40 - 50 mm long if memory serves me, and moved very slowly as if it was an animated stick machine.

Any idea as to is ID?

(Nikon D800E, Nikkor 105 mm, Subal housing, 2 S&S YS-D1strobes. 14 April 2016)

_DSC1022.JPG

_DSC1023.JPG

Please pardon my naïveté, as this may be my first post to Wetpixel. 

Is this not the well-known, but rarely spotted in Anilao until recently, Melibe colemani?

I would imagine that Peri is very familiar with that species. Has he been consulted? Is this not that?

I hope to see one myself someday!!

With the utmost respect and curiosity,

Debbie Karimoto

Posted (edited)

Peri Paleracio was the dive master at Club Ocellaris for many years, until his recent move to his own land business in Manila. He used to find and memorize the location of many interesting creatures, including one or two new nudis named after him.  We would dive together, many times too deep, his air supply seemed unlimited and I would have to do  staged ascent waiting for him, often he would surface with a new to me nudibranch in his hand.     

Debbie Karimoto is a skilled underwater photographer and expert world-wide diver.  She is one of the stellar members of the Orange County Underwater Photographic Society - itself a skilled group of underwater still and video gurus.   Her diagnosis of this nudibranch as a Melibe colemani is of course correct. 

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

I would love to know the specific site where that nudi was found.  I’ve been on every site around Anilao for dozens of dives over the years - with a skilled spotter - and never seen one!  Then again, I’ve perhaps passed right by thinking it was some trash or something decomposing.  

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, troporobo said:

I would love to know the specific site where that nudi was found.  I’ve been on every site around Anilao for dozens of dives over the years - with a skilled spotter - and never seen one!  Then again, I’ve perhaps passed right by thinking it was some trash or something decomposing.  

Just head to Romblon - place is known for those (and plenty of other nudis). Look up Sunset Cove resort, had an absolute blast there and they have an amazing boat, with real marine engines, not those farting things that take forever to get anywhere and by then time you do, takes half n hour to regain hearing.
It is ran by Ronny Oliwka - he was previously running no. 1 dive center in Palawan before selling the business, so everything is absolutely tip top.

Edited by makar0n

Sponsors

Advertisements