Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sonia Levy

Looking for individual /company that can build UW case (simple box shape)

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 
I am looking for someone or a company that can build a good quality underwater case that would be just a simple box (no need for particular buttons etc.) This is for a specific UW video job. I wonder if anyone could recommend a company or individual with that knowledge? I am based in the UK, so someone or some company based in Europe would be easier.
Any lead would be greatly appreciated!
Sonia

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonia Levy said:

Hi everyone, 
I am looking for someone or a company that can build a good quality underwater case that would be just a simple box (no need for particular buttons etc.) This is for a specific UW video job. I wonder if anyone could recommend a company or individual with that knowledge? I am based in the UK, so someone or some company based in Europe would be easier.
Any lead would be greatly appreciated!
Sonia

 

I don't know of any custom manufacturers apart from some of the high end companies like Gates that will do custom work, but you'll likely need to sit down when you hear the price. 

What are you trying to house and what depth rating?, you may find the simplest/cheapest option is something like an ikelite case that is big enough to hold what ever you are wanting to house.  Or maybe an old Equinox housing - they would be quite adaptable probably, but only available secondhand these days:  bn_69119

bn_69119equinox on ebay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

I don't know of any custom manufacturers apart from some of the high end companies like Gates that will do custom work, but you'll likely need to sit down when you hear the price. 

What are you trying to house and what depth rating?, you may find the simplest/cheapest option is something like an ikelite case that is big enough to hold what ever you are wanting to house.  Or maybe an old Equinox housing - they would be quite adaptable probably, but only available secondhand these days:  bn_69119

bn_69119equinox on ebay

 

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply!

 I am trying to house a Sony A7S II but I need extra space to plug an HDMI cable for a surface monitor. Ideally I would need a case that can hold about 20cm/8 inch wide; 25cm/10 inch length; 15cm/6 inch depth . In that instance I wouldn't got lower than 10m down.

I have tried to message most of those second hand equinox housings on ebay to get dimensions but haven't had any reply yet :(.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sonia Levy said:

 I am trying to house a Sony A7S II but I need extra space to plug an HDMI cable for a surface monitor.

Ikelite housing for A7 II series has plenty of open space on the left side of the camera, where HDMI plugs in. There is a bulkhead on top of the housing which you can use to run an HDMI cable. https://diveandsee.com/cables/hdmi/ has options for surface-to-underwater HDMI cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The equinox housings may not be quite that big.  I'm still not entirely clear what you want to achieve - you are wanting to house the surface monitor?  Or run a cable from the housed A7SII to a monitor at the surface? 

There are available solutions to run a video signal to the surface from any housing with an appropriately sized bulkhead, if that's what you want to do - the monitor can be above water and without a housing.  Typically a custom cable is required to fit the available space inside an UW housing often with a wide angle plug.  As Barmagalot says surface cables can be purchased from dive and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

The equinox housings may not be quite that big.  I'm still not entirely clear what you want to achieve - you are wanting to house the surface monitor?  Or run a cable from the housed A7SII to a monitor at the surface? 

There are available solutions to run a video signal to the surface from any housing with an appropriately sized bulkhead, if that's what you want to do - the monitor can be above water and without a housing.  Typically a custom cable is required to fit the available space inside an UW housing often with a wide angle plug.  As Barmagalot says surface cables can be purchased from dive and see. 

Hi again Chris, I want to run a cable from the housed A7S II to a monitor at the surface. Would love to get you guys opinion on what would be the best reliable solution :). So far I was achieving that through modifying a Meikon for my A7II but the space inside is very tight (had to modifying bulkhead and HDMI in etc) so long story short the system is very fiddly and unreliable... I thought most UW case didn't have enough space for running an HDMI. Thanks to Barmaglot I see the Ikelite could work out for that purpose. Are they other housings that could work? And so great to see a company doing custom built cable with right bulkhead! Thanks so much for inputs this is super helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

Ikelite housing for A7 II series has plenty of open space on the left side of the camera, where HDMI plugs in. There is a bulkhead on top of the housing which you can use to run an HDMI cable. https://diveandsee.com/cables/hdmi/ has options for surface-to-underwater HDMI cables.

This would be a great solution indeed! :dance: Have you tried running an HDMI out with that system? Thanks so much it's all very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sonia Levy said:

Hi again Chris, I want to run a cable from the housed A7S II to a monitor at the surface. Would love to get you guys opinion on what would be the best reliable solution :). So far I was achieving that through modifying a Meikon for my A7II but the space inside is very tight (had to modifying bulkhead and HDMI in etc) so long story short the system is very fiddly and unreliable... I thought most UW case didn't have enough space for running an HDMI. Thanks to Barmaglot I see the Ikelite could work out for that purpose. Are they other housings that could work? And so great to see a company doing custom built cable with right bulkhead! Thanks so much for inputs this is super helpful!

A great many housings have enough space for the HDMI cable often using right angle plugs and the housing is fitted with an M16 HDMI bulkhead,  Here's the HDMI bulkhead page:  https://diveandsee.com/connectors/hdmi/

You can see there are models for quite a few housings.

and here are the UW HDMI cables - bulkhead connector on one end and a HDMI plug on the other:  https://diveandsee.com/cables/hdmi/

You can choose the most suitable housing for your camera as long as it has the m16 bulkhead.  The right angle HDMI cables offered solve the problem in most circumstances to get enough space to plug it in.  DO you research first though - there was a post on here a while back about not enough space for the bulkhead on an ikelte housing a little while back. - One of the controls was right under the m16 bulkhead fitting.

My understanding this a proven solution to having a surface monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...