mjrovner

Original Retra and new OMS OM-1

Hi,

My friend is having a stranger problem with her new OM-1 trying to fire the original Retras. She is using the flash that came with the camera.

I hooked her camera up to my Pro X and it fired fine and the image was lit up. hooked it back to the original Retra, it won;'t fire except in TTL and Slave mode. When it does fire, the resulting photo is black.

She's shooting ASA 100, 1/100th and F4 - all setting the same between the two flashes.

Any and all ideas warmly welcomed. She was planning to buy my old Retras but that won't work until we fix this.

Many thanks!

Mark

Hi

The Original Retra Flash fires via optical fibre only in SL and TTL. My guess is that the onboard camera flash is emitting a TTL signal. Easily check this by going to SL mode or M mode and set 100 power on your Pro X or Original. If the image is black this means camera is emitting multiple flashes/multiple triggers and is a TTL signal. If you are unable to set the camera to emit a single trigger (not fill-in or TTL) the Retra Flash will need to be set to ignore the preflash. The procedure for this is described in the user manual for the Original Retra Flash which is available in our App.

Thanks for this! That was my original theory that her flash is emitting a pre-flash. What thew us was that the prox did just fine.

appreciate you

Done and dusted. Worked like a charm. Thank you so very much!

• Like 1

Is there a flash that comes with the OM-1. I was under the apparently wrong impression that it came without a flash. 

Bill

3 hours ago, bvanant said:

Is there a flash that comes with the OM-1. I was under the apparently wrong impression that it came without a flash. 

Bill

It comes with the same mini flash that all the EM series came with.  What the OM-1 does not come with is an external charger - they give you a USB-C cable  with a mains adapter for that instead.  I'd much rather have an external  charger myself.  The sold separately external charger doesn't include a mains adapter and you plug in a USB C cable to power it.  So now you need a mains cable, the USB-C mains adapter a USB-C cable and the external charger to charge the batteries outside of the camera.  A bit kludgy really.

Thanks Chris: Some of my friends in the EU got the camera but no flash in the box. I think the idea of the charger not being there is for some e-waste considerations.

BVA

On 8/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, ChrisRoss said:

It comes with the same mini flash that all the EM series came with.

NOPE. The FL-LM3 is not included anymore since the Em1 Mk3.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:52 AM, wedge said:

NOPE. The FL-LM3 is not included anymore since the Em1 Mk3.

May have changed since i purchased mine and may be different in different markets, but I got a FL-LM3 included with my OM-1 when i purchased it about 4 months ago or so.

16 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

May have changed since i purchased mine and may be different in different markets, but I got a FL-LM3 included with my OM-1 when i purchased it about 4 months ago or so. 

Interisting. In Europe/DACH the flash is not included in the M1.III and OM-1.

The FL-LM3 came with my OM-1 and with the M1ii (I don't know about the M1iii).  The M1 came with the FL-LM2, which had a cold shoe and a USB-like connector into the camera.  While the LM3 is a more capable flash than the LM2 when it works, the LM3 is not a paragon of reliability.  It was my assumption that the OM-1 came with the mini-flash on account of underwater applications; the Nauticam housing, at least, is build to accommodate the LM3. 

Sponsors

Advertisements