Jump to content
diggy

Back up of high res video files

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

Have considered moving from stills to Videos and have shot some 4 K high res videos. The same are stored on a few 2 TB and 1 TB SSD's.

Is there some solution on cloud for back up and/or storage ? Also what do you guys use to store the RAW or unedited videos ?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Diggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really no different to any computer backup except the files are larger.  Cloud is probably impractical due to file sizes, but that will depend on what sort of a deal you can get on cloud storage and your connection speed.

Otherwise it's a matter of routinely backing them up onto HDDs and keeping several copies.  The external drive should only be connected when you are actually backing up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can recommend the software Goodsync for backups on to a HDD or SSD. I’ve been using it for years to backup my photo collection of about 1TB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone tried “photostick omni”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

diggy,

I use a Synology NAS  for 40TB+ backup video files. 4K files add up in a hurry! Convenient if you use ethernet.

If you have Thunderbolt, you can use an OWC ThunderBay 4. It's quick, too. My dive buddy uses it for photo backup, particularly after upgrading to a 40MP camera.

Tom

PS: your tag line reminds me of a saying given me by a friend from Scotland: What's for ye'll no go by ye.

Edited by wydeangle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, ChrisRoss said:

It's really no different to any computer backup except the files are larger.  Cloud is probably impractical due to file sizes, but that will depend on what sort of a deal you can get on cloud storage and your connection speed.

Otherwise it's a matter of routinely backing them up onto HDDs and keeping several copies.  The external drive should only be connected when you are actually backing up. 

Thanks Chris. I do have a 12 TB G raid drive currently. But know that this will fill up sooner than anticipated :-) Looking at HDD's

 

Diggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2022 at 6:06 AM, TimG said:

I can recommend the software Goodsync for backups on to a HDD or SSD. I’ve been using it for years to backup my photo collection of about 1TB. 

Hmm Ok..need to look at this and understand. Thanks Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wydeangle said:

diggy,

I use a Synology NAS  for 40TB+ backup video files. 4K files add up in a hurry! Convenient if you use ethernet.

If you have Thunderbolt, you can use an OWC ThunderBay 4. It's quick, too. My dive buddy uses it for photo backup, particularly after upgrading to a 40MP camera.

Tom

PS: your tag line reminds me of a saying given me by a friend from Scotland: What's for ye'll no go by ye.

Thanks, Tom

Have been seriously looking at NAS. This probably may be a relatively economical solution and my best bet going forward. BUT finally notings cheap when it comes to HD video storage :(

And my Tag line is from a lovely Poem by John Burroughs called Waiting.  I really like 'What's for ye'll no go by ye'  :) Short and sweet. 

 

Diggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2022 at 6:22 AM, diggy said:

Hey guys,

Have considered moving from stills to Videos and have shot some 4 K high res videos. The same are stored on a few 2 TB and 1 TB SSD's.

Is there some solution on cloud for back up and/or storage ? Also what do you guys use to store the RAW or unedited videos ?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Diggy

First make sure you have a process to archive a project

I shoot tons of video but the clips that have some value I use in a project and the rest in most cases is not interesting so I reject and delete forever

Once I have output the project I consolidate the library and move it to a 16 TB HDD and delete the source files from the SSD

I use 400mbps or 800mbps videos. I do not use prores it is a waste of disk space as my cameras have already great codecs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2022 at 11:36 PM, Interceptor121 said:

First make sure you have a process to archive a project

I shoot tons of video but the clips that have some value I use in a project and the rest in most cases is not interesting so I reject and delete forever

Once I have output the project I consolidate the library and move it to a 16 TB HDD and delete the source files from the SSD

I use 400mbps or 800mbps videos. I do not use prores it is a waste of disk space as my cameras have already great codecs

 

Yes, I do have a process thanks, albeit the same is herculean as I now realise. Have to go through all the videos and by process of great, good and bad eliminate and delete forever the ones that are similar or in the good or bad category. 

I do now have a 12 TB G raid HDD drive for backups. SSD's just 5 TB as of now. Probably need to get some more storage here?

My files are heavy. I am currently shooting on a 1DXMk3 D crop canon log. I am not technically savvy yet with video formats codecs etc. Still a learning process. 

THANKs a lot for your input and anything further you thibnk i should know.

 

Diggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, diggy said:

Yes, I do have a process thanks, albeit the same is herculean as I now realise. Have to go through all the videos and by process of great, good and bad eliminate and delete forever the ones that are similar or in the good or bad category. 

I do now have a 12 TB G raid HDD drive for backups. SSD's just 5 TB as of now. Probably need to get some more storage here?

My files are heavy. I am currently shooting on a 1DXMk3 D crop canon log. I am not technically savvy yet with video formats codecs etc. Still a learning process. 

THANKs a lot for your input and anything further you thibnk i should know.

 

Diggy

Once a project is done you dont need it on the SSD so can go to a slower storage

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, oh...

I sort of recommended a Synology NAS in a prior message in this thread. I must revise that at least for the time being.

I have a Mac Pro with macOS Ventura (the latest version) that is apparently allergic to Synology, at least their model DS418 which is connected via ethernet. Every time I try to access that particular NAS (and I have three of them) my Mac reboots! After three weeks, still can't access those storage units.

I'm in touch with Apple and Synology about this, but no joy so far.

That said, Synology, at least with Apple's latest macOS, is on my NOT recommended list.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Tom

I'm using a Synology D218j as a photo backup device to my Apple Studio which is running Ventura. So far, so good.

But my partner can't get Ventura to detect her LG 32" screen. 

Life eh?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, TimG said:

(...) Apple (...)

 

Found the root of the problem :D:D:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, makar0n said:

Found the root of the problem :D:D:D

:D

Just take a bite, makar0n.... a sssmall bite... it tastes delicioussssss...... itssssssss good for you...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimG said:

:D

Just take a bite, makar0n.... a sssmall bite... it tastes delicioussssss...... itssssssss good for you...... 

Vade retro satana! :D

This is the only acceptable apple :blum:

image.png.5567c5765b52021a7f468ff8835fb4f0.png

Edited by makar0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...