Gosh Dang, between you and Becky Kagan Schott you guys are making me want to move up to Michigan to enjoy the beautiful Lake Huron diving.  These sites are on mu bucket list for sure.

A google search shows the wreck sits in 165ffw, what kind of bottom time are you getting? Your photos shows a diver in back mounted doubles (I'm guessing at least HP100s) and 1 deco bottle (I'm guessing an AL80)

13 hours ago, Dann-Oh said:

Gosh Dang, between you and Becky Kagan Schott you guys are making me want to move up to Michigan to enjoy the beautiful Lake Huron diving.  These sites are on mu bucket list for sure.

A google search shows the wreck sits in 165ffw, what kind of bottom time are you getting? Your photos shows a diver in back mounted doubles (I'm guessing at least HP100s) and 1 deco bottle (I'm guessing an AL80)

You should definitely go -- it is epic diving with amazing wide angle photographic opportunities.

I went in July 2021 and took my rebreather. We were diving the wrecks if Presque Isle which are all about 180-200 ffw. On most dives it was 35 or so minutes on the wreck and a runtime of about 105-120 minutes.

Pictures are here:

https://wreckedinmyrevo.com/tag/lake-huron/

Regards,

- brett

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

You should definitely go -- it is epic diving with amazing wide angle photographic opportunities.

I went in July 2021 and took my rebreather. We were diving the wrecks if Presque Isle which are all about 180-200 ffw. On most dives it was 35 or so minutes on the wreck and a runtime of about 105-120 minutes.

Pictures are here:

Regards,

- brett

Thanks Dann-Oh, very kind. Yes this one is in about 165' but the top rail of the wreck starts a bit shallower than that. There really is world class wreck diving at many different depths all over the lakes. I am diving CCR and in this shot my son is the model, he is using LP 104's (IMHO the best cylinders ever made trim-wise) as he is 6'7" and needs the extra length. His deco bottle is an Al80. Other wrecks nearby this area range from 100-200' Fresh Water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

Pictures are here:

Regards,

- brett

Hey Brett,

Funny enough your site is already in my Chrome bookmarks.  I usually browse your site/blog when I need a little boost in my diving morale and my gills are drying up (I have a 1 year old so I don't get to dive as often as Id like to).

I just finished up a sidemount class to help me learn to manage multiple cylinders and to be able to move them around. and what not.  I am planning to dive sidemount as much as I can this next year.  I am planning to start working on decompression diving skills and knowledge this time next year or early 2023 depending on my confidence.  I have started conversations with one of my diving mentors that I rally look up to about what it would take to get to the Infidel (located on the west side of Catalina, California, USA sitting in 165fsw).  We have a shortlist of things I need to work on in order to have solid enough skills to move into decompression diving. (I'm currently 'bouncing" +/-4ft on safety stops he would like me to "bounce" less than +/-2ft on safety stops, I completely understand why this is important).

2 hours ago, sidcaver said:

Thanks Dann-Oh, very kind. Yes this one is in about 165' but the top rail of the wreck starts a bit shallower than that. There really is world class wreck diving at many different depths all over the lakes. I am diving CCR and in this shot my son is the model, he is using LP 104's (IMHO the best cylinders ever made trim-wise) as he is 6'7" and needs the extra length. His deco bottle is an Al80. Other wrecks nearby this area range from 100-200' Fresh Water.

Hey Sid,

Oh man my back hurts just thinking about double 104s, I might have to go rebreather at that point due to shoulder issues and not being able to reach the isolator valve with my right arm. Keep up the inspiring photography, and keep sharing your dives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dann-Oh said:

Hey Brett,

Funny enough your site is already in my Chrome bookmarks.  I usually browse your site/blog when I need a little boost in my diving morale and my gills are drying up (I have a 1 year old so I don't get to dive as often as Id like to).

I just finished up a sidemount class to help me learn to manage multiple cylinders and to be able to move them around. and what not.  I am planning to dive sidemount as much as I can this next year.  I am planning to start working on decompression diving skills and knowledge this time next year or early 2023 depending on my confidence.  I have started conversations with one of my diving mentors that I rally look up to about what it would take to get to the Infidel (located on the west side of Catalina, California, USA sitting in 165fsw).  We have a shortlist of things I need to work on in order to have solid enough skills to move into decompression diving. (I'm currently 'bouncing" +/-4ft on safety stops he would like me to "bounce" less than +/-2ft on safety stops, I completely understand why this is important).

Great! If you want, you can sign up on the blog to get updates whenever I publish (which is usually only about once/week).

The Infidel is a fun wreck for sure. If you are going to that depth, consider a goal of diving the UB88 which is a little bit deeper but amazing to dive a WW1 German Sub off Southern California. It is about 190' to the sand and about 165' to the top of the conning tower.

- brett

2 hours ago, ConstantinosPetrinos said:

Impressive photos especially on SS Florida on Lake Huron

Thanks! The wrecks there are so amazing to photograph.

- brett

Great pictures! (both OP and Brett). Adding Lake Huron to my destination list, although I'm afraid to think of a 100min dive in such cold waters!

42 minutes ago, waterpixel said:

Great pictures! (both OP and Brett). Adding Lake Huron to my destination list, although I'm afraid to think of a 100min dive in such cold waters!

There are plenty of shallower wrecks. :)

- brett

1 hour ago, waterpixel said:

If you come later in the season the thermoclines are quite reasonable. Just did a 30min BT on a wreck in 200FFW and the water warmed up quite nicely on the way up. At 60' there is a marked, visible thermocline and the surface temp was 71F

22 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

Great! If you want, you can sign up on the blog to get updates whenever I publish (which is usually only about once/week).

The Infidel is a fun wreck for sure. If you are going to that depth, consider a goal of diving the UB88 which is a little bit deeper but amazing to dive a WW1 German Sub off Southern California. It is about 190' to the sand and about 165' to the top of the conning tower.

- brett

The UB88 is defiantly on my list as well. There are so many neat wrecks but I need to get there slowly and safely.

Sponsors

Advertisements