Sign in to follow this  
spacetti

1080p versus 4K

I am shooting a Panasonic GH5 for underwater video.  Often, I shoot at 1080p resolution, 30p frame rate to keep the file size manageable.  Certainly, shooting in 4K offers twice the resolution horizontally and vertically.  However, when friends & family view my videos on their TVs, smart phones, or computer monitors, very few have 4K displays.  I am told that if a shoot in 4K, and then render at 1080p after editing, it will look better on non-4K displays than if I shot in 1080p and rendered at 1080p.  The question is, if I render at 1080p, does it matter if it was shot in 4K?

Thanks

Stephen

11 hours ago, spacetti said:

I am shooting a Panasonic GH5 for underwater video.  Often, I shoot at 1080p resolution, 30p frame rate to keep the file size manageable.  Certainly, shooting in 4K offers twice the resolution horizontally and vertically.  However, when friends & family view my videos on their TVs, smart phones, or computer monitors, very few have 4K displays.  I am told that if a shoot in 4K, and then render at 1080p after editing, it will look better on non-4K displays than if I shot in 1080p and rendered at 1080p.  The question is, if I render at 1080p, does it matter if it was shot in 4K?

Thanks

Stephen

This question gets asked frequently and the answer generally is that is better to capture video with the highest possible quality and resolution and then scale it down

Generally shooting at 4K and renderind HD looks better than shooting in HD directly as long as there was sufficient quality in the 4K capture

In addition you get other creative options for example you can crop

One thing you can do with 4k videos is to 'stabilize' the output by cropping.   Give options in downsizing beyond just shrinking the file size.

Adobe Premier calls this 'warp stabilizer'.   Makes the output look like it was shot on a tripod.  

Here is an explanation of it:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements