Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

Choices, Choices, Choices….

Choices, Choices, Choices….

Ok so went with the Nikon 105mm rather than the Sigma 150mm. The 105mm is tried, true, and proven.

Now given the following factors what is my next choice?

I dive mainly in the Pacific Northwest were 20ft of viz is a good day, 3 tropical trips/yr.

I have the Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm (on the way) and the Nikon 18-35mm.

Been using a UK Q40 strapped to one of my S&S 90DX strobes as a focus light, major pain.

Wife has complained I don’t take enough diver + reefscape shots. Important to keep her happy as she is dive buddy and signs checks for tropical trips.

Options (based on budget)

1. Stick with current lenses, add housing focus light attachment and new cool Fix Light (reviewed here) or proven Hartenberger.

2. Add housing focus light attachment, use UK Q40 that I already have and buy the Nikon 10.5mm lens.

3. Some other options??

Please Note: Don’t suggest the Nikon 12-24, unless you know where I can get one for -$500

What do you Think???

The 10.5 will be a good lens for you as you can get really close to your subject - that might prove necessary for your low-viz situations. You will be good to shoot CFWA, but regular big-animal fisheye shots may be a bit harder.

For even less money, you can get a Sigma 15mm fisheye which will have about the same angle of view as the Nikon 12-24 at the 12mm end. It will be good for underwater but not as good for above water as you'll notice the barrel distortion.

You didn't mention what camera and housing you are using - which will help us advise you.

In any and all situations, I'd get a housing mounted focus light for diving in the PNW.

Cheers

James

Sorry, I have a Nikon D100, Aquatica housing, flat port w/105mm ext, 8" dome, and 2xS&S YS90 Duo strobes.

If the bulk of your shooting is in bad Viz get the widest angle lens you can afford and do lots and lots of shooting. When you learn to shoot in bad Viz, by the time you get to good viz, shooting will be a piece of cake.

Countless times I have seen people come to the clear water and just fumble around because they didn't practice enough under adverse conditions. If you learn in short Viz, you can shoot anywhere.

Splash,

Don Kincaid

Martin,

The 10.5 is a nice lens but you will be challenged to get that CFWA of a lingcod resting on the reef. And you have to be careful how you position the camera as you will get distrotion that looks unnatural. But getting close is the key. With the 10.5, you can get close, REAL CLOSE, as to see the goobers in the fishes nose. I have attached a pic that I have shared before. Look at the details of the foam in the surf. I was about 2 inches from the water.

However, you can pick up a Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 for about $590. You may want to consider that because you can use it much more frequently topside than the 10.5. And your underwater options increase as well. I'll admit, I have no experience with that particular Sigma lens, but the last Sigma 14mm I owned was awesome...crisp, and pretty as a plume. I only sold it to get the 12-24.

Glad to see you are increasing your arsenol.

Joe Belanger

Thanks for all the input.

I bought the 105mm and people seem to agree it needs a good Focus light in AF mode in low light situations. I think Joe that was a issue you mentioned. So now I am leaning to picking up either the L&M Mini Mod the Hartenberger or the new Fix Pix. I think I need to get good with the gear in my bag before I add a major fisheye lens. I will really need to improve my skills to get the max out of that lens.

Hey Martin,

Let me know what aiming light you go with and how you like it. I am in the market for upgrading mine from the mini-q40.

Also, send me your personal email so I can send you better pictures from our trip ....many of you and your wife, and a few drug smugglers!! :?:

Joe

So in the end I just ordered the new Fisheye light. It was very close between it and the Hartenberger. Backscatter won't even have them in until next week. Joe I'll let you know how it works once I get it out.

NWDiver - What was cost on the new light?

~Matt Segal

I bought the 105mm and people seem to agree it needs a good Focus light in AF mode in low light situations. I think Joe that was a issue you mentioned. So now I am leaning to picking up either the L&M Mini Mod the Hartenberger or the new Fix Pix.

I've been using the Hartenberger Mini (with wide-angle reflector installed) as an aiming/focusing light (plus general night dive spotting light) for about a year now, and it works great. Autofocus much faster. It's also easy to dial up the light using rear control dial.

I mounted a UltraLite ball fitting onto the handle of the Hartenberger, so it mounts easily on a fitting on the top of the Subal housing. (The strobe arms are mounted on top of handles on a tray, but I've also done this using the Subal handles and both strobes mounted on fittings on top of the housing, using a triple clamp on one to accomodate the Hartenberger.

Frogfish

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements