Sign in to follow this  
jlazo

Can I use only one socket of a dual sync cable?

I am eventually planning on purchasing two SB105's for use with an Ike housed D70. My question is, can I purchase the dual strobe sync cable and only use one strobe for the time being, or will the disconnected end short out?

You will need to connect your strobe to the "master" side of the cable. On Ikelite cables, this is the one without the red band on it. You will also need a waterproof cap for the empty end.

James

I'm not sure it's recommended, but I've done it with no problems on two dives when I had strobe problems.....you must use the supplied black protector cap....screwed on very tight :D

You will need to connect your strobe to the "master" side of the cable. On Ikelite cables, this is the one without the red band on it.

Correct

Karl

From Ryan of UWCP in regard to the black-caps, and confirmed by Ike of Ikelite:

"Unfortunately, the Dual Sync Cable's caps are not waterproof, so you'll need a single cord for use with the single strobe, and need to purchase a dual cord when the second strobe is added."

Reason:

"The caps are merely dust covers to keep the o-rings clean, and do not exert any pressure so o-rings are not deformed in storage. There used to be all kinds of crazy recomendations with Nikonos cameras about storage o-rings, etc, so Ike just made caps that didn't affect the sealing surface."

~Matt Segal

ok, I guess I will have to sprint for both strobes! The cable pushed me over...

I am eventually planning on purchasing two SB105's for use with an Ike housed D70.

Do you already own one SB105? I'd recommend going with the DS125 instead if not. The DS125 has a faster recycle time that is more appropriate for digital. You can use the manual controller to get more precise/convienient strobe control with the DS125 only. Also if you ever want to upgrade to TTL (when available) you will almost certainly need a DS125.

If you are using the DS125 with manual controllers you can use a single sync cord with the second as slave. This way you can get the single cord now and upgrade the second strobe without a new sync cord. Of course you will need to add more than the cost of two cords in controllers but the precise control and convenience is worth it.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements