Sign in to follow this  
kellerdweller

Shiny new 20D - some questions

Having gone in successive years from a Canon ixus V3 in a Canon housing to a 5060 in a PT20 + housed FL20, I have finally accepted the inevitable and bought myself a new Canon EOS 20D - the shutter lag did it for me in the end...

I am now waiting for Ikelite to ship the 20D housing with TTL and plan to get a single DS125 as a starting point (if my bank manager is still speaking to me :D)

I have a couple of basic questions for the transition from the 5060 to the 20D

1) I have been using a 2GB Hitachi microdrive with the 5060, is this going to be fast enough - I need large capacity as I plan to use the RAW + JPEG capability (no more evenings spent converting RAW to JPEG in Photoshop). I am not worried about the fastest or the best, but can someone share some practical experience shooting SLR as to what is the most practical CF card, balancing performance and cost? I carry a laptop for storage so only need cards for shooting.

2) I have bought the Sigma 50mm macro and have the 18-55mm kit lens as a starting point. I plan to house both, but would be interested in suggestions for the best WA lens to add at a later date. The 18-55 can be housed using the 5503, a WA using this port would reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry. Suggestions?

Sadly my next trip is not until Feb - going to North Ari Atoll in the Maldives for Manta season, hope that will be enough time to fgure out the controls on the camera :)

Thanks for any help...

(no more evenings spent converting RAW to JPEG in Photoshop)...

No offense, but this is not necessarily the best decision ...

2) I have bought the Sigma 50mm macro and have the 18-55mm kit lens as a starting point. I plan to house both, but would be interested in suggestions for the best WA lens to add at a later date. The 18-55 can be housed using the 5503, a WA using this port would reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry. Suggestions?

Darecky had very good results with the new Canon 10-22, the caveat is that it is not inexpensive ($900), and you will be limited it to using it with EF-S compatible cameras (read: if you ever upgrade to FF, you won't be able to use it)...otherwise I think Sigma makes a 12-24...and then there's prime WAs as well...

Understand with the Ike system you will be buying multiple ports...it's simply how it's designed. Don't try to fight it :D

~Matt Segal

Sorry, should have been more clear. With my 5060 I have been shooting 100-200 images per day in RAW only. Each evening after diving I have spent up to two hours working them through the RAW converter in CS just to see the images at all, time better spent in the bar or lazing on the beach. With the 20D's ability to store both a RAW+JPEG file for the same exposure, I can preview/show my wife and the JPEG's and then process the RAW shots for the keepers when I get back home...

Thanks for the advice on the lenses, the Canon is very tempting, I like the convenience of the zoom, this would also make it a great above water landscape lens. I have been advised to stick to prime WA's by my dealer, but must admit the shots taken with the 10-22mm look great. To be honest moving from the limited zoom on the 5060 to any WA on an SLR is a massive improvement :D

With the 20D's ability to store both a RAW+JPEG file for the same exposure, I can preview/show my wife and the JPEG's and then process the RAW shots for the keepers when I get back home...

Why not use Photoshop CS's File Browser to merely preview the RAW files? You can have them display as large as any other JPG would normally...of course they're unprocessed, and thus just as they would look as a JPG would...

~Matt Segal

Good point, I guess I simply like to be able to compile a keepers folder of the best shots to be able to show friends without having to open up PS each time. With the ability to create a small JPEG in addition to the RAW file it shouldn't much affect the capacity of the card or write speed...

...to be able to show friends without having to open up PS each time...

Fair enough :D

I'll be taking the 20D + Ike housing to T&C in 3 days, so I'll let you know how it works out and any random things I come across with regard to the setup :wink:

~Matt Segal

The Sigma won't fit in Ike housings I think - too fat. The 10-22 would be tempting on a 20D

I'm shooting with the 17-40L on the 10D, it's a great lens on crop sensor cameras but I haven't got sharpness out of it yet that I feel is acceptable whilst underwater - it's a bit of pot luck with the Ikelite domes I think in terms of how well they match.

Consider the 15mm fisheye. There's not a lot of tempting primes unfortunately in the Canon lineup for underwater use.

Thanks...

My dealer suggested the Sigma 14mm, but this is 999Euros and not so verstaile for other use. That's why I am drifting towards a wide zoom, such as the 10-22 (although this is not much cheaper than the Sigma). Otherwise the Canon 15mm Fisheye is on my list as it is much cheaper. For my first time out I might just use the 18-55mm kit lens and then "upgrade" to real WA later. I also think I will be mostly using macro until I get the hang of shooting a DLSR underwater.

Thanks

Shaun

Shaun,

You might want to consider the Sigma 15MM. It is less expensive than the Canon and it will fit in the same port as the 18-55MM zoom. I have seen a lot of excellent results with this lens.

Craig

Shaun,

You might want to consider the Sigma 15MM. It is less expensive than the Canon and it will fit in the same port as the 18-55MM zoom. I have seen a lot of excellent results with this lens.

Craig

Yes. The Sigma 15mm FE is a nice lens at a lower cost. The image quality equals that of the Canon in all the reviews I've seen.

I got the EFS 17-85 IS with the 20D when I bought it and Ikelite makes a port for it. Do you think I would be wasting my time with that lens underwater or should I just spend the money on the 10-22 and get it over with?

Nodack,

The 17-85 is a great lens for u/w. It focuses close enough for fish portraits and is a great overall lens, but it is not a super wide angle lens. I spoke to Ike about a port for the lens and although it will fit in the 5503.50 dome it has not been tested by them yet. He will let us know what he finds and whether a new port is required. In the mean time, get the 10-22, it the same angle of view as a 16-35mm and between the 2 lenses you are pretty well covered.

Doug

Doug, that's great to hear! I think if I buy the 20D I will get it with this lens. How does it compare to the 17-40L? The L is an F4 lens right and the 18-85 is 3.5? Are there any differences that would be important UNDERWATER that would make the 17-40 a better choice?

Thanks

James

17-40 is f4 steady. 17-85 is gliding from f4 to f5.6 . Beside huge topside image quality differences the 17-85 does not focus so close like the 17-40.

Julian.

James,

I have no experience with the 17-40, but being one of Canon's "L" lenses I would venture a guess that it is a fine lens, plus the obvious advantage of not being a slow variable aperature lens like the 17-85. However the 17-40 will have the equivilant field of view as a 27-64mm vs 27-135 for the 17-85. The 17-85 also has built in image stabilization, which should help holding those natural light shots at slow shutter speeds a wee bit steadier. The 17-85 has a minimum focus of 13" at all focal lengths, so can shoot full frame subjects 4.5" wide at maximum telephoto. It should make a very nice multi-purpose lens. By the way, Ike has emailed me that a port specific to this lens will be available in January (YES there is a Santa Claus!) Thanks Ike!

Merry Christmas to all,

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements