Sign in to follow this  
Decomike

Ikelite DS-125 update needed for eTTL

I own two DS-125 Ikelite substrobes and want to use them on my Ikelite house for the Canon 10D with eTTL. These substrobes have a serial number far below 2500 and according to Ike's site the need a $150 update each to operate with eTTL, a lot off money and that's without the transport to the Netherlands.

So because of that I want to know, is it really needed? I did some test above water and it looks working. I can use TTL, manual and ajust the power. Also did a test underwater, short one because 4 degrees isn't very nice, and again looks nice. Little but because the pictures needed some adjustment (to dark). I shot with f19 en f22 shutter at 1/200 (Av) substrobe can then be already at maximum power?? Wasn't the right way to test.

Link to the pictures

Who can tell me more about this? Any experience with the same combination? Maybe Ike?

Is it that the old DS-125 works with the eTTL but doesn't give a right exposure without the modification or is there more?

Gr. Mike.

Older strobes simply can not recycle fast enough to provide correct preflash requirements like the newer IGBT circuitry models starting about serial #2500. Between serial #2500 and #5000 work reasonably well if you wait at least five seconds between pictures. Subject matter of your photos either does not lend itself to improvement from flash, or does not show any flash effect. Older units will work as manual strobes, but simply can not provide eTTL.

Does anyone know if the ds-125's currently being sold are all past the 5000 mark in terms of serial number? I sort of need a new strobe, and had been planning on ordering one from B&H as they have pretty high turn over (I figure), but don't really want to get old inventory with a sub-5000 serial number.

I was shooting with a DS-50 until yesterday. Am now shooting available light shots only...will post a photo of the reason why shortly! :D

Clear Ike. I will use them manual and later send them for modification. I will ask Mark (scubacompany) how to get them to you when the dollar-euro = 1:1.5 or when i have done enough carwashes in the neighbourhood. :wink:

Best wishes for 2005.

PS. With or without battery (=weight) when i send them for modification?

Does anyone know if the ds-125's currently being sold are all past the 5000 mark in terms of serial number?  I sort of need a new strobe, and had been planning on ordering one from B&H as they have pretty high turn over (I figure), but don't really want to get old inventory with a sub-5000 serial number.

I got a -125 in June from Ikelite and it is #4040. I got another one in early December and it is #5576 so it seems they are well over the #5,000 number.

The #5576 has a sticker on it that says MOD-NC. I hope they both work the same with my Oly 8080 housing in TTL mode...Ike?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements