Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

D2X Availability and Price

After numerous leaks (including Nikon USA posting this info on the web a few days ago) Nikon has finally confirmed an actual release date. 25th February for the D2X. I'm thankful it is not 30th Feb.

Prices vary by country. UK RRP is £3500. High street will be less (~3100).

US - MSRP $6299. Suggested Street Price $4999.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05011201...kond2xprice.asp

-------

One point re-availabilty I liked is this from Nikon UK:

Tim Hunnable, Group Product Manager, Nikon UK added: ‘The slight delay in getting the D2X to market has allowed us to increase production to meet the demands of back orders’.

Which suggests one might actually be able to get one without too much of a wait...

I have been asked a few times (particularly since starting a Canon thread yesterday) on my position regarding this camera. So to summarise:

I will see the camera with my own eyes and have a chance to play with it at my local dealer's day on the 8th Feb (a few days after I get back from Cayman).

There are 2 main criteria I will consider on this day:

1) Performance of the camera - in the areas I shoot. Particularly Low ISO ability.

2) Availability for me. When does my dealer think that they will be able to deliver my camera - based on where I am in their queue. And how this relates to photographic travel I have planned. Housing availability for this camera should be fine for me - I've already sorted that side of things.

If the answers to either of those questions are not what I am looking for. I may well start re-reading the Canon lens discussion with renewed vigor!

Alex

Ouch. MSRP for the D2x is higher than expected.

People thought it would be $4995 MSRP and $4,500 street. Now it turns out that the MSRP is $6,300! That's almost as much as the 1DsmkII but you get 12 instead of 16 megapixels and you get a cropped sensor. I was hoping it would be less expensive - I can't see how the street will be so low, given the high demand.

Cheers

James

I was surprised by that US MSRP. Especially compared to the UK prices (where the D2X is about 60% of the 1DS MK2 price).

I got those numbers of DPReview - rather than checking Nikon USA?

Alex

I was surprised by that US MSRP. Especially compared to the UK prices (where the D2X is about 60% of the 1DS MK2 price).

I got those numbers of DPReview - rather than checking Nikon USA?

Alex

Here's a new one for you (well, for me anyway). The Nikon site lists $4995 as the "suggested street price".

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1...productNr=25215

Yes, I just came here to post exactly that thought. A manufacturer's suggested retial price and a manufacturer's suggested street price??? That's just stupid.

I hope this camera will result in many happy Nikonians again around this forum. Does this mean everyone's buying their lenses back on Ebay? :D

In all seriousness, this camera does fulfill a market position that Canon hasn't got covered - lots of megapixels, plus high frame rate perfromance (in 6.8 megapixel mode).

It would seem to be a good competitor to the 1DMk2, as it performs a similar function in 6.8 megapixel mode with the option to switch to 1Ds-type resolution where required.

I don't think it competes with the 1DsMk2 market segment.

It would seem to be a good competitor to the 1DMk2, as it performs a similar function in 6.8 megapixel mode with the option to switch to 1Ds-type resolution where required.

I don't think it competes with the 1DsMk2 market segment.

With all the talk of MTFs and such, what difference does it make anymore how many pixels there are if the lenses can't resolve detail that fine anyway? Just a silly question . . .

Well, you get the sort of situation we have with the Canon 1dsmk2 at present where you have to use manual focus Zeiss glass with an adapter plate to get maximum image quality. It does seem strange!

It'll be interesting to see how the Nikon glass fares with 14 million pixels crammed into a 1.5 crop sensor.

What Puzzles me about this whole thing is that the MSRP for the D2h is now down to $1,995 US. The D2X uses the exact same body, shutter, mirror/prism, battery, etc, yet the MSRP is $6,299 US.

So what I read from that (besides that the D2h is not selling well) is that the sensor and electronics in the D2x are worth $4,300 more.

Without seeing some actual images from the camera, it's impossible to say, but that's an aweful lot of moola for a DX format 12 megapixel sensor.

Cheers

James

What Puzzles me about this whole thing is that the MSRP for the D2h is now down to $1,995 US.  The D2X uses the exact same body, shutter, mirror/prism, battery, etc, yet the MSRP is $6,299 US.  

So what I read from that (besides that the D2h is not selling well) is that the sensor and electronics in the D2x are worth $4,300 more.  

Without seeing some actual images from the camera, it's impossible to say, but that's an aweful lot of moola for a DX format 12 megapixel sensor.

Cheers

James

I would imagine that it's partly because the D2H has the reduced resolution high speed mode (with 2 more MP) built in making it a competitor (except for cost) with the D2x. If the D2x was marketed at people who'll deduct the cost of camera anyway, they may go for the D2x in order to have two cameras for the price of one (sorta) . . .

I just followed Mike's link above to the Nikon USA website. And there is no mention of the MSRP there just a MSSP of $4995. Whatever the difference is. I cannot actually find the $6299 figure anywhere on the site. Maybe it was a typo in the press release?

I got the $6299 figure from the DPreview website and not from Nikon USA - which is a UK site - and may have got the US numbers wrong? They certainly seem so from the UK & Canadian prices.

I think that the reason the D2H is a $1999 in the US, and therefore 40% of the D2X price is related to desirability of the two cameras. I know megapixels aren't everything but the D2H is only 4MP - and for many people/applications that is too few. Especially because big reproduction usually means bigger payment.

The D2X price reflects the fact it is a big step up in resolution for the NIkon user. Plus it is a pro-level body with an expected resolution and perfomance that will leave it sitting between Canon's MK2s. It is not surprising that the price is also - and like the specs it is closer to the 1D MK2.

But it is still v expensive and IMO priced in a way that won't tempt Canon users to Nikon!

Nikon should hopefully also introduce a D200 during the year that offers D100, D70 users a step up without the expense and the unnecessary specs/build quality of the pro-bodied D2X. $1800, 8-10MP, AF CAM-unknown?

Alex

p.s. I can extrapolate theories all day. But the extra $3000 price suggests that Nikon see the sensor as a significant step on from D2H. Or they have seen the waiting lists and are cashing in!

Just read this thread.

I see that Alex has eluded to his local dealer having the D2x in on the 8th.

Well a bit more infor for those interested. The dealer in question is The London Camera Exchange in Southampton Civic Centre.

I too shall be there. (my F5 and 70-200VR & 17-35mm were nicked on a recent trip to India).

My wife and I are considering the D2x as a replacement for the F5 and my S2 pro. It's either that or go for an F6 (though i doubt there are any housings available) or go for a complete change and go over to Canon.

I'll see you there, Dave. It will be nice to meet you. I'm in Cayman at the moment, but I would very much like to meet you for some underwater photography chat. There is a small chance I will be able to bring a D2X housing with me on the day too.

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements