Sign in to follow this  
scubag

Going to Cayman Brac in March, Hurricane Follow Up?

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me the scoop on how the resorts are doing on Cayman Brac as far as rebuilding from last falls hurricanes? I'll be at the DIVI Tiara Beach in mid march and was wondering how the resort is, docks ok etc.

Thanks for your comments in advance,

Doug

Doug

they had some very bad dock damage and were using reefdivers docks (divi lost the entire dock, reefdivers was operational) they should have a new concrete one now)

(i used to work for reefdivers) I do not know how it is right now

i do know that they have all taken te time to renovate so expect everything to be nice and shiny and i would expect that they had a dock built by back in november or december.

I do know that reef divers and brac reef is ok .. i can't speak frist hand for divi .. but i would expect that they are ok.

Doug,

I took a group of 14 divers to Brac Reef Beach resort (second time I've been there, and I love it) on Nov. 20-27, 2004. There signature "double deck gazebo" and much of the wood dock area was washed away by storm surge, but other than that it was great!

Reefs looked fine except for the occasional sponge or gorgonian thrown out into the sand. If anything the visibility was better than the previous year's Thanksgiving week! Lots and lots of juvenile action, too, possibly instigated by the hurricane according to the divemasters.

All said I wouldn't worry about a thing. All my test photos with the manual version Ikelite Canon G6 housing were taken that week....

Hope this helps!

David Haas

Haas Photography Inc.

4596 Greenlawn Drive

Stow OH 44224

330-678-0591 Phone/Fax

330-329-5981 cell

davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

l

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/triv_haas_g6.html

Thanks Giles and David,

It's been a few years since I've been to Brac, I'm looking forward to being back there. By the way nice images David.

Doug

At DEMA I talked with Max from Divi Tiara. He said the docks were almost finished at that time. They should be fine by now. He said the new bar on the beach was still there (WHEW!!). I guess you will have to help start the new signs all around the place. I'm sure mine and many of the others were washed away.

Have fun!!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements