Sign in to follow this  
james

New Housings, etc at BOOT (20D, D2h/x, etc)

I wonder how easy the very important * button is going to be to reach with your thumb. Hard to tell from a picture! I prefer the position on Subal's 1D series housing.

Its not the prettiest design. But otherwise is looking good. Is this Subal's first Canon housing with the GS viewfinder?

Alex

Yes, it is.

Looking at my 20D here, it looks like the lever on the upper right could be extended about 1/2" and it would hit the star button. Good point though Alex. Perhaps it's just a prototype.

Cheers

James

I am hoping that the lever on the top right is in fact designed to operate the * button. This lever was certainly not present on the C10 housing back.

I'll let everybody know as soon as the C20 I ordered last October shows up. I have been notified that it's arrival is immanent, baring any customs hassles. In fact the housing is supposed to arrive without a C20 emblem, which will ship later.

Edit: Oops, I did not inspect the photo well enough to see that the lone button on the upper right, not the lever, is labeled with a * sticker. Oh well.

It's the button w/ the checkerboard next to it. I hate to admit this, but I haven't RTFM yet, so I don't even know what that means...lol

Cheers

James

On the Subal 1D/1DS housing the * control is on the leaver that falls under your right thumb. There is such a leaver on the 20D housing, but instead the * button is further to the left. I'm with Brad on thinking this is a pity - unless whatever that leaver does on the 20D is even more important!

Many of the images of the Subal 1D series housing on the web are in fact the prototype (including the pix on Subal's own site). You can spot the final housing by the number of buttons below the LCD window, which should be 5, not less.

This image comes from Subal's PDF on the 1D housing. The other image on the housing I think is of a prototype!

Alex

I wonder if the new small lever controls the 20D's multi-controller? the one button on the back is marked with the "*" decal as already mentioned. there are no other controls on the right side of the body that would make sense with the new lever's location.

Heh, I decided to get a Seacam housing, so no Subals in my future, sorry. I'm not sure which housing to get for the 20D - I don't have any trips until the end of March Wetpixel bahamas shark trip.

Cheers

James

I can hardly wait for the Bahamas trip! I've been thinking of getting the 12-24 so would be interested in some progress reports on your experiences with it in the coming weeks.

Marty.

You guys all obviously all love your '*' button. I haven't really ever warmed to shooting CFn4=1. I tried it over Christmas (again) and just got lots of blurry turtles that would have been in focus if I was just shooting normally. Of course, I don't have a 'Seacam Silver' housing, just a plastic one, and the Ikelite '*' lever implementation, whilst a worthy effort, doesn't quite work for me as it doesn't have a return spring.

The Subal looks quite solid, but it's definitely uglier than the Seacam. I'd be interested to hear more once someone buys one to test drive it for us.

I thought Seacam was not doing a 20D housing. Is that wrong, Alex, or are you referring to another?

I think the * button will be much more useful for macro than for shooting turtles. I'm not sure if I will use it for WA or not - have to try it out. The reason it's great for macro is that when use a USM lens and push the * button you are basically putting the camera into manual focus. That is cool!

Craig, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Alex may be referring to UK-Germany or Sealux.

Cheers

James

The reason it's great for macro is that when use a USM lens and push the * button you are basically putting the camera into manual focus.  That is cool!

With your USM lens, the camera is in 'manual focus' before and after you push the button. The only time it's not in 'manual focus' mode is when you do push the button!

I'll certainly try it again when I get around to shooting macro.

I started using the "*" button on my last trip to the Sea of Cortez. It took a little bit to get used to, but now I think it's the only way to go (for me). Using it with my 17-35/f2.8 shooting sea lions was great. The first time I tried without it I couldn't get the camera to focus quick enough or hold focus, it would hunt "a bit". Not much, but when sea lions are zooming by, "a bit" is often too much. By prefocusing with "*" button to a point 5-10 ft in front of me and just waiting for the sea lions to fly by I got several well focused images - in addition to some not so much, but that's what the delete button is for ;-)

Craig, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Alex may be referring to UK-Germany or Sealux.

Alex was mistakenly referring to Subal & Seacam - and I guess I am wrong with the latter. Sorry I just assumed all manufacturers were making a 20D housing. Seems a strange camera to skip.

James, you should consider the Sealux for 20D/Sarah. I was very impressed with them in Antibes. Ignoring the temporaily weak dollar, they are cheap. You can get the big viewfinder. And it would be a whole new housing line that you have experience of - a great benefit to all at WP!

I guess buying N American makes sense at the moment, though!

Alex

I haven't really ever warmed to shooting CFn4=1.

You can use CFn4=2 (ok) or CFn4=3 (better) more effictively. CFn4=3 allows you to start or stop the AF functions when in AI Servo AF mode...when you hit the * button the first time, all AF processes are halted and you have the ability to manual focus. Hit it again, and everything is back to normal. AF is always controlled by the shutter half-press when active. CFn4=2 is similar, except that you have to hold down the * button to continue halting the AF...

*edit* Addendum to this two posts below...CFn4=2 is better option. */end edit*

~Matt Segal

??? When I use Cfn4=3, I can never use the shutter press for focus lock. Only the * button. That's not in AI-Servo mode though. Let me try that.

I wish I just had a stinkin M-S-C switch!

Update: Tried it in AI-Servo and in AI-Focus and with 4=3 and still have no shutter half-press. Firmware 1.1.0 Looks like it's about time I read the manual - there are lots of custom functions dealing with AF.

Cheers

James

You're right...sorry about that James. CFn4=3 relegates all AF to * and there is no AF on shutter half-press...CFn4=2 is in fact the better option I think...

~Matt Segal

The * button is useful for wide-angle as well. It's useful in any case where you might want to take more than shot without re-acquiring focus (which is nearly all the time, for me).

I have emphasized to Subal that the * button is important for two years of shows, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Nearly everyone I know who gives the * button a chance (which means shooting with it until you are used to it) ends switching to its use almost exclusively. But not everyone does, so I suppose those people can still shoot with a Subal. :lol:

For the 1D series, I shoot with 2 focus buttons on the back: the focus point recall button, which can be set to always focus on a specific spot, and the * button, which I have set to focus on whatever focus point I've set. Normally, I hvae the recall button set to focus on the center and the * button set to focus on all 45 points, so I can use it quickly if I need to capture fast moving action.

For the DRebel, it's easier to use the electronic trigger/focus rather than physically pushing down on the shutter button. I think all the other Canon's work the same way. It is easy to seperate the focus and shutter controls. They are implemented as two seperate contact switches in the Aquatica housing. It would be easy to add another contact switch in parallel to the one controlling the focus. That control can be placed anywhere on the housing, and would give the focus lock fuction that most people use the * button for, and free up the * button for exposure lock.

IMG_6127.jpg

Lots of real world shooting information on this thread. Hope some housing manufacturers read it!

Alex

Good stuff folks!

And Canon also. Glad to have new friends in the pond with added information.

Look forward to seeing more Canon related discussions like this in the future.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements