Sign in to follow this  
james

Canon 20D + Sigma 12-24

Hi Folks,

I want a wideangle lens that I can use on any Canon camera, so I decided to try the Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6 My local camera shop has a 5-day return policy, and 3 of these lenses, so I tried them and picked the best one.

Sorry, too dark for brick wall photos, and they wouldn't be much fun w/ a 1.6x crop camera, but I did shoot a nite shot for fun. f4.5 6 seconds @ 12mm:

6s_f4point5.jpg

I white balanced on the car on the right and it seems to have captured the scene well, with a little noise remaining in the sky. This wasn't "long exposure mode" or at least I didnt set it for that, just matrix metered.

Cheers

James

Wait...now you have a 1DMkII and a 20D?

:shock:

What ISO? If you have the ability to rest the camera on a stable surface, why not longer exposure, lower ISO?

~Matt Segal

Hi Matt,

Yep! This is Sarah's camera - she'd kill me if I sold her D100 and didn't get something to replace it...

I shot it at ISO100, the base ISO for the 20D

Cheers

James

I await the full frame wall shot with baited breath...

James, I just checked out your Kodak SLRn shots (which are great) - but I'll be interested in how you find the noise compares in long exposure shots like this. Is this lens destined to be housed underwater?

Matt, your 20D doesn't shoot ISO 50 does it?? The 1Ds does, but it's actually slightly noisier than ISO 100.

Hi Rob,

I don't have a FF camera, sorry, only the "1.3x" crop. I'll try the Sigma on that this weekend and post results. I almost bought a 17-40 but decided that with the camera shop's generous return policy this would be worth trying out.

The Kodak does absolutely fantastic long exposures, but you have to use its long exposure mode and set it at ISO 6. At those settings, it produces stunning low noise images, but it's because it does a dark frame subtraction, etc.

No, the 20D does not do ISO50.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements