Sign in to follow this  
teddib

Luggage/case for housings

I have used a hard plastic/metal case with a foldable carrier in the past to carry what amounts to two housings, lights, charges, etc. in the past but this system has not proven very durable. The equipment I will carry now will include two housings, Ikelite PC-120 and Subal 1Ds, a halogen video light, strobe, two ports and accessories. The cameras go with me in my carry on along with a portable lap top computer (I get good exercise walking through airports).

Has anyone found a good solution to this problem? Is there rugged luggage that can be configured to handle mutiple pieces of equipment and be wheeled through airports?

Regards,

Tom

The largest Pelican case can. I bought one last fall, and have been very happy with it. I forget the model #, but it is on their website.

Hal

Not sure what the TOS says about posting links to other forums, but here's a review on most common camera/shipping cases:

http://www.scubaboard.com/cms/article33-doc1.html

Yes, I wrote it, please don't hold it against me!

All the best, James

PS: a quick answer to your question is yes, Hardigg cases w/ the built-in wheels and retractable handle.

We use a Samsonite hard case. We put 2 full dive rigs in it. An F100 and a D100 Subal housing, cameras, strobes, lenses, the works. We rigged the inside ourselves with special foam which you can manipulate to create 'seats' for your equipment. Just like a professional 'photography case'.

We have traveled with this all over the globe. From Solomons to Malaysia to Australia to Caribean for the last few years. Its wheels are still very good. It takes no effort whatsoever to drag it behind you. And we use 2 exactly the same cases (unmodified) for divegear and clothes. One person can pull all 3 and carry a laptop bag easily. What I especially like about it is that it looks like a normal suitcase. We also make it very recognizable by putting our initials on the outside in 1 foot large letters. You can spot em going in the airplane from hundreds of yards away :(

Cor

James - wanted to read your ScubaBoard article, but can't get past the first page. The site says that the rest of the pages can't be accessed.

I'm in the market for carry-on sized hard sided for my gear. I've got soft-sided luggage now that holds everything, but I live in fear that, at some point, I'll have to check it due to lack of overhead space or airline rules or whatever. So, I want to use something sturdier. Your article looks like it contains a lot of good info, if only I could get it to open!

We use the largest Pelican roller case with the Velcro inserts for a Subal 10D housing and a Gates Sony Digital Video. Works great but for big ports it is a squeeeze. One nice thing you can do with the Pelican is to use the organizer that fits in the lid, lots of pockets to hold the little stuff.

Bill

James - wanted to read your ScubaBoard article, but can't get past the first page.  The site says that the rest of the pages can't be accessed.
Sure enough! I have sent a note to SB's tech folks.

All the best, James

I was able to read the review, although after purchasing a Hardigg Storm case for $150 via eBay. The question I have is that the review has a section on Hardigg cases and Storm Cases. What I bought is a Hardigg Storm case. How does this fit into your categorization?

Thanks,

Tom

teddib, Hardigg Industries purchased Storm Cases about a year ago.

In the last several months somebody at Hardigg aparently "woke up" to the fact that Hardigg had brand name recognition, and began marketing Storm Cases as you noted.

My experience is that most folks still seem to refer to a plain "Hardigg Case" as a reference to the ATA-compliant industrial rotomolded air and water tight cases.

All the best, James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements