Sign in to follow this  
Don in Colorado

Filters: Using a filter on both the camera and the strobes.

I would like to do wide angle (normal angle) photography in Belize this summer. Mostly diver portraits and reef scenes.

I am interested in using a filter over the lens of my camera, and filters on my dual strobes. I have Sea and Sea YS90DX strobes. I have an Olympus 5050 in a pt-015 housing.

I already have a Singh Ray camera filter (orange). What filter would be recommended for the strobes?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Don,

Can you tell us the spec on the filter? Is it an FL-B or FL-D?

Cheers

James

Hi Don,

I take it you have consulted the charts put together by Craig and Alex here:

http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-1-pid-31.phtml

Accordingly, your filter is equivalent to a CC30M. According to Craig and Alex:

"The stronger FL-B filters are only suitable for blue water and moderate to deep depths (20-70 feet). Use the FL-D type filters for green water or shallow depths."

You will need a complimentary filter with a strength of 30 (cyan I think) to put on the strobes. I'm not sure of the source of these but I bet Craig knows.

Cheers

James

Thanks James,

I did review the article you mentioned, but I got a little confused, so I appreciate your help.

If Craig has a good source of filters, I'm all ears :lol: I am eager to try this combo out.

Does anyone have example pictures taken using dual/matching filters?

Craig posted some in his Sipidan gallery. I don't remember the link off the top of my head, but there's cross-posted here on wetpixel somewhere.

Cheers

James

A proper strobe filters match for the Singh Ray FL-B would be a CC50G. Which filter you use will depend on how you mount it to your strobe. Be aware that there are long special order waits for these filters but you can order them through B&H.

Craig: I searched the forums for references to your Sipadan gallery. Several people talked about them, but I could not find a link to the actual images. Please!

Interesting thread, and since I'm the only one who hasn't said it yet: WOW!

Do you really need two filters? Couldn't you just use the filter on the strobe, and do the rest in PhotoShop?

No, it won't work that way (as previously explained in a different thread).

Cheers

James

Messages appeared in the wrong order in that other thread.

I of course did not suggest to use the same (one) filter. I'm gonna have to try this!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements