Sign in to follow this  
l.babcock

Wide angle lens

I would like to purchase a wide angle lens that would work both underwater and on land, I have had discussions privately with some members and I have narrowed it down to 2 lens the sigma 15 mm fish eye or the Nikon 10.5 mm fish eye ,if anyone has any other good choices let me know. Underwater I will be shooting reefs wrecks and fish, so I need a versatile lens. and I have used wide angle underwater before . I used to shoot nikonis 5 with ses & sea 15 mm lens, that was the only lens I used

Thanks Larry

What do you intend to shoot on land? If whatever it is has a lot of straight lines (indoors, for instance), these fisheyes will be problematic. In that case, I'd recommend the Nikon 12-24 or Sigma 12-24.

Cheers

James

I really didn’t want to purchase a $1000.00 lens give or take $100 or $200,

Is the Nikon 12-24 is that much better than any other wide angle lens? , also does the lens focus up close.

Larry

I've got the Sigma 12-24 and love it... works great both above and below... I think I paid around 750.00 or so... somewhere around there... less than the Nikon.

- Sean

I called Ikelite, they do not make a dome port for the sigma 12-24.

Larry

You didn't mention that the lens had to fit in an Ikelite housing Larry. Have you already purchased the Ikelite?

Cheers

James

The 12-24 is a great wide angle lens for topside use for sure, because it does not distort. However, I find the image quality of this lens unacceptable for it's cost. I'm more happy shooting my 18-70 kit lens if at all possible, and save the 12-24 for those instance where I just have to have that extra few degrees of width.

Also, I don't like the 12-24 underwater that much either. There is a lot of noticable corner softness behind an Ike dome.

I have not had the oppurtunity to shoot the 10.5, and play with the barrel distortion correction in Nikon Capture to comment on whether or not it would be a decent choice for topside use.

Yes , I have already bought the Ikelite Housing for my D70 , I am a Ikelite dealer, the price was right.

Larry

more input would be very helpfull, I would like to make a decission by Friday

Thanks

Larry

Detonate, how come you didnt like the 12-24 underwater, and also what housing are you using with your camera.

OK, how's this sound for a strategy:

Get a 15mm Sigma fisheye for underwater use $350

Get a Nikkor 24-85AFS for topside use ~ $250

I just don't think you'll be happy with the 15mm fisheye as a topside lens.

Cheers

James

James, thanks for the reply, I have a 28-100 lens already, I would like to have a lens a little wider, I was thinking maybe going with the 15 mm for underwater, and the sigma 12-24 for topside, which would be a better WA lens for underwater, the 10.5 or 15mm since both of them are not any good topside.

Larry

I recommend the 15mm Sigma then. I don't recommend the 10.5 because simply put, it is not a wide angle lens - it's a fisheye lens when used on the D70. A fisheye lens is a specialty lens and it's rare to have a subject that can fill the frame.

The 15mm is a fisheye lens when used on a FF camera, but on the D70, it's basically a wide angle lens with more barrel distortion than usual. It's just plain easier to use and you will get great results for a low price.

Cheers

James

Detonate, how come you didnt like the 12-24 underwater, and also what housing are you using with your camera.
I have an Ike housing.

I find the performance of the lens between around 12-18mm to be too soft. And underwater you'll get considerable corner softness from the dome.

The 18-24mm performance is excellent. Much better than the 18-24mm performance of the kit lens. I just feel that dropping almost a grand for this lens was a waste. I rarely use the lens, except for the fact that it is so expensive, I force myself to take it on at least 1 or 2 of my dives.

-jim

There are those who aren't so sure the 12-24 corner sharpness is any better behind an 8" dome while inspecting the test results after mounting an Aquatica dome on an Ikelite housing. Anyone care to claim spectacular results?

I have the Nikkor 16 mm fisheye. I am very happy with it. The 17-80 kit lens has soft and distorted edges at the wide end.

Hal

Is anybody using Sea&Sea Compact Wide Port with Nikon 12-24 lens? Is it better/worse then having a Dome Port?

/riki

I agree with Jim and Ike regarding the 12-24 corners... I have used this lens behind Ike's dome and Nexus dome with the same mediocre results. My 18-70 is much better. For 1000 bucks I was hoping for a lot more. My two favorite lenses currently are the 10.5 and 18-70 for the d70...

M.

James-

do you have any images in your gallery that were taken with the 15mm Sigma?

M.

I agree with Jim and Ike regarding the 12-24 corners...  I have used this lens behind Ike's dome and Nexus dome with the same mediocre results.  My 18-70 is much better.  For 1000 bucks I was hoping for a lot more.  My two favorite lenses currently are the 10.5 and 18-70 for the d70...  

M.

Yeah, I don't think it's Ike's dome. I just think it's the nature of the lens.

I just want to stress again that I don't think it's a terrible lens. I just think it's way over priced. I feel it is much more of a $600 lens at best.

My favorite lens is still my 60mm, and once I wet my 105mm, it may become my favorite. I may start using my 18-70 again and giving it another shot. I think I need to replace my cheapy diopter though, as it may be what is causeing my lack luster results with that lens.

I waas never happy shooting the 12-24, even behind the most expensive (I didn't say best) $1k glass domes at anything less than f11.

That being said, the Nexus FEP-170 and Ikelte dome port still exhibit soft corners at this aperture. Nexus' newly recomended dome for the 12-24 (like their fourth suggestion) may solve the problem, but I haven't had a chance to get it in the water. I've heard lots of grumbling about a sharper, yet harder to pack, alternative from Ikelite too...

This absolutely isn't the sharpest lens Nikon has ever made, but is very usable, and covers a very useful range.

The compact wide port from Sea & Sea should produce terrible results- this lens absolutely requires a dome, and a bigger one (the NX Fisheye port, or Athena's port) will make your life easier and placement less important.

If I were to ever break my 10.5, the Sigma 15mm would be my next choice. But only after I broke my 10.5...

Just when I thought it was safe.................

I only "thought" I was ready to make a decision to buy a 12-24 nikon based on the "complete lens bag" sticky thead........but after reading this thread, the question marks are starting to pop up.

Has the 12-24 lost it's initial luster based on experience?

Your suggestions and input are welcome. I don't won't to spend the hard earned cash and end up with the proverbial "pooch".

Thanks

My experience with the 12-24 behind Ike's dome with no diopter had mixed results. Behind nexus dome with no diopter same mixed results. I will be trying behind nexus dome with +4 diopter next...this may help. It's been more difficult for me to get consistent results with this lens than the 10.5, 18-70, 60 or 105mm..

M.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements