anthp

Canon S70 - now with INON adaptor!

Hi folks,

Don't know whether this has already been discussed, but I was just surfing around looking for options for wide-angle compacts with RAW and UW housings and I noticed something new.

Inon appear to have announced a wide angle lens to avoid the vignetting issues associated with mounting WA lenses on cameras with 28 mm lenses, such as the Canon S60/S70.

This is really good news because it means that there are now a few other options out there for folks looking for a compact with RAW capability and a wide lens. Other decent options are the Fuji F810 and Olympus 7070 (now that the 5060 is finished).

Hopefully there is someone with Japanese language skills, because the Google beta Japanese translator isn't perfect.

My favourite is "you can take the gathering photograph of many divers in clearing." - rather poetic really :(

The name of the new toy is UWL-100 28AD...

Unfortunately, I have since heard that it is unlikely to be available until May 2005. :)

Given that information, it would seem that the Fuji F810 is one of the best alternatives (better low-light AF capability and RAW capability - with ACR than the S70 anyway).

This is great! I was just getting organised to sell my M67 WA lens with the dome. Time to change my plans a little ...

-David

Thanks Reye,

I couldn't find the English version when I first searched.

I started looking at the Canon S70 and matching it with the INON D2000. I asked Mark Rupert at INON about support for the WP-DC40 housing that Canon makes. This was his reply:

Yesterday Inon announced support for DC40 housing:

28AD Mount Base DC40

AD Mount Conversion Spacer for UCL-165AD

Optical Cable/Cap W17 Set

Inon's planned release date in Japan is April 8.

He said that the these parts should be available in US as part of the April shipment.

Cheers,

Allen

I wonder if the UWL-100 28AD will work with cameras that are closer to 35mm, but which vignette with the standard UWL-100?

Ikelite says the V3 vignettes too much, even though it is only supposed to be 34mm equiv.

Do you guys expect the UWL-100 28AD will only work right near 28mm?

Thanks,

Don

I have been using the standard UWL105 with the Fuji F810 and it vignettes slightly at the very widest setting (30mm). I don't find it to be a problem though - simply zoom one step in to around 35 and it works fine. It converts the view into such a wide angle anyway. The field of view is easily wider than the 18mm prime on my film SLR.

I note on Ike's website, it says nothing about vignetting for the f810, whereas it says it is bad for the V3, even though the V3 is 34mm...

Weird!

Don, I've got the F810 in the Fuji housing, so maybe in Ike's housing it doesn't vignette?? :blink:

Sponsors

Advertisements