Sign in to follow this  
snorkelman

Oly 5060

Just wondering how good this camera works for UW photography?

Considering this camera and the PT-20 case. As you can see by my name im just a snorkeler, I just got back from tahiti and man I wish I would have had an UW camera. Plan on going to the Caribbean in March and I don't want to be without a nice quailty UW camera. thanks

Hi

Welcome to wetpixel. You'll find that the c-5060 is a very popular camera. It affords a great amount of creative control at not too steep a price. You may want to wait a few months untill you buy the camera. the c-7070 is positioned to replace the 5060 and should have some advantages including faster read/write times and less shutter lag (two important issues for UW photography). I hope that helps.

It's an excellent camera. Some of the worlds best underwater photos are shot with this system. Like any system, there will be a few setup quirks you have to learn and some shooting limitations you will get used to dealing with, but as far as quality goes, it is a fine set up. I have one as a backup to my D100 Titan system. I couldn't afford a second DSLR system, so I got the 5060 in an Ikelite housing.

Joe Belanger

It's an excellent camera. Some of the worlds best underwater photos are shot with this system.

:shock:

For snorkeling I'd want something smaller. Look at the the Canon S70 or possibly the Fujifilm F810.

The PT housing and 5060 are small enough for snorkeling. The Ike housing is too big for snorkeling in my opinion.

Dont' be shocked. I believe someone won the BBC competition a couple of years ago with a point and shoot system, I believe it was a Oly 5050.

Joe

HI!

I use a c5060 in a pt020 and I am VERY happy with it.

I have been using it for over 12 months with scuba, and have never had a problem(although I have read reports of floodings, electronics failures and so on - I have yet to expience any such problems).

I actually just one a few prizes in a competition using the system.

If you'd like to see 'hands on' imagery I have taken with this system, go here:

www.underwater-photography.info

and view 'Keir Davis' gallery.

I have been on a learning curve with the camera, and started to actually take RAWs starting about 6months ago - even so the earlier Jpegs are astounding (IMHO).

As yet I have no strobe, so all flash is in-camera with inbuilt diffuser . . .

Enjoy!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements