Sign in to follow this  
Jim Clark

Underwater Kinetics (UK) Light Cannon 100

Han anyone tried this HID light with underwater digital camera, I'm thinking about getting one, since the light is as close to sunlight as you're going to get underwater and the beam is supposed to be quite large.. any advice would be appreciated.

I've used a 100w video light underwater (from a different manufacturer) and I found it was only good for macro shooting - and even then, the same shot taken w/ a strobe was much better.

It's just not the same as discharging a 100 watt-second strobe for less than 1/125th of a second. That's > 12,500 watts!

Cheers

James Wiseman

Was just thinking the same, but use with a HID50 from GREEN FORCE (www.green-force.com). Colortemp. is 6200 !!!.

But further down this forum, I notice that the quality of light is worse then flash. WHY ??? is this a problem of color, of angle, of intensity, ... what makes them less suitable then flashes ?

Angle and intensity. RE intensity = see my math above.

Cheers

James

I've got the UK light, and adaptors from ULCS to attach it to my Ikelite housing. What I've found is that James is quite right, it doesn't work nearly as well as a strobe. One additional issue that might be related to the reflector is that you get light and dark spots in your lighting instead of reasonably consistent smooth light like you get from a strobe.

That being said, it's a great light, and is pretty good for macro shots on days where the vis is a little lower or the ambient light is minimal (cloudy days). It's also a great light overall. The only question is whether it's worth the money just for use with a camera. IMHO, no.

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements