Sign in to follow this  
bandit

another upgrade scenario

Trading off two systems: D70 and 20D....

D70 with kit lens -- $859 after rebate

60mm Micro -- $396

Ike housing -- $1080

dome port -- $140 I understand one port will do both lenses?

Total $2475

20D with kit lens -- $1340

100mm Macro -- $500

Ike Housing -- $1235

Dome port -- $140

Flat port focus -- $140

Total $3355

That's the best pricing I have found beating the internet to death. It looks to me like $900 net difference for eTTL (and $150 to upgrade my DS-125) and 8 Mpixels. I can probably shave a little on lenses on Ebay, but not much. I've read most of the stuff here and on other boards. I'm currently shooting a C-5050/DS-125. Comments?

Confused as to why you selected a 60mm macro for the D70 pricing, and a 100mm macro for the 20D pricing...you're skewing it to one side. The Nikon 105mm macro lens (w/ rebate) is ~$550 or so (prices vary). The Canon 100mm macro is $450 max, and the Canon 50mm macro (1:2) is $250, w/ the Sigma (1:1) at the same price.

Additionally, you'd want a flat port for the Nikon 60mm macro lens as well...and no, the #5503.55 dome port for the Nikon kit lens is not the same as the #5503.50 dome port for the Nikon 60mm Micro...

~Matt Segal

I was looking for 1:1 in each system, or as close a practical. Also, another thread here indicated that the 60 would work behind the same port as the kit lens. That could be wrong I guess. I know it's not recomended. Thanks for the input, that's why I posted it.

Wait another couple of weeks before buying anything. The PMA, a big annual photography industry show, is coming up in a couple of weeks. It's almost certain the DRebel upgrade will be announced, and Nikon is rummered to have something new also.

Hmmm,

The price you have on the 60 mm micro Nikkor seemed high, so I checked B&H and you can get a USA warrantied one or a grey import for significantly less than your price ($339 for the Grey Market lens).

Also herb's suggestion of waiting til PMA is a very good one. Even if you don't buy the newer toys, it will probably mean a drop in the price of the ones you are looking at (if they are superceeded).

You didn't read my post.

Notice I quoted the cost of the Nikon 105mm macro lens...not the 60mm...

~Matt Segal

Thanks for the inputs. At least for the camera bodies/kits, the prices I found are from places that will likely never ship. More realistic seems to add about $150 on the Canon and maybe $100 to the Nikon. It does seem the 105 will make a better UW macro lens for the type of shooting I like. Adding an additional port to the Nikon along with the 105 closes the gap a little, maybe $600 difference. I'm not jumping yet, but before the Nikon rebates end, I'll probably make a decision. That $200 off the D70 is tough to ignor.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rebate ending. With competition from the new Canon, I doubt that the D70 will ever revert to the old $1000 price. The prices of these things have no place to go but down.

Sorry Matt, I didn't mean to imply that your prices for the 60 were high, but rather that bandit's prices were steep.

Bandit, I think if you can hold out another couple of weeks, you might even find that rebates increase! :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements