Sign in to follow this  
2mike

insurance

DEPP is probably the most well known.

DEPP Insurance

There are some other local insurance policies, including riders on your homeowners insurance if you are in the U.S.

HTH,

DAN has insurance available to its members in the U.S.; the best part is that they provide cash payments instead of just supplying replacement equipment.

DAN Services Sponsored Insurance

Here's a quote from my September column:

Equipment Insurance:  Digital cameras can be expensive!  If you dive enough, you WILL flood one.  So, just like with a film camera setup, purchase good insurance.  However, here’s the important difference to consider when buying a policy for your digital: don’t buy a replacement policy!  If you flood your camera a year or two after you bought it and your insurance company sends you a direct replacement, you just got some “brand new” old technology.  Since digital cameras are improving so fast, you should aim to get a policy that will pay your claim in cash – that way you can buy the latest and greatest model.

I just purchased insurance for my DSLR setup last month and I went w/ DAN because they offer a cash claim - as opposed to a straight replacement.

HTH

James

understand that both DEPP and DAN flood insurance is applicable to residents of US only.

Anyone know of any insurance in Asia?

Much equipment is interdependent, for example camera and housing. How does one go about linking them together so that coverage for loss of one includes replacement(s) to re-establish a working rig? For example the camera may no longer be in production, meaning one is likely faced with buying a new housing & attachements that match the new camera model.

A big difference between DEEP and DAN is that DEEP makes you include your dive gear, they will not insure just your camera. DAN will cover anything you want, equipment OR camera OR both. I went with DAN.

i'm learning from this, thats true. one thing that remains a mystery to me is how to get the camera AND housing AND ... insured as one single item?

ebay aside, a housing would be not-quite-worthless if the camera is unrepairable and out-of-production. granted this may not be a widely applicable question, but at the moment it is for many of us who are ready to go under the knife. for example, one of the best affordable setups is an Oly4040/PT010, yet the dc is out of production. so when the eventual happens, realistic replacement will entail a new housing.

any direction?

Let us know if you find out anything. As for me , when I flood, I'm sure I'll be able to find a used one somewhere.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements