Sign in to follow this  
Deep Snapper

35-80mm Nikon AF question

Hi All,

I found a decent priced good condition Nikkor 35-80 1:4-5.6 D AF Lens and would love to hear comments about anyone who has been using this lens U/W.

Furthermore, I have some questions regarding using this lens with a 8" aquatica dome port. The Aquatica site lists that you will need a +3/+4 diopter with it. What are the pros and cons of using such lens with a dome port. What difference will the diopters make to the performance of the lens.

Thanks

Antonio

www.deepsnapper.com

Hi Antonio,

Without the diopter, I believe the lens will not focus at all underwater behind that dome port. Some friends of mine use the 35-80 for fish photography, but I personally would use the 24-85 AFS instead. Price difference is only about $100 and the 24-85 is a much better lens.

Cheers

James

Thanks James for the comment...

I will try to fish for that lens too. Re; Diopters.... what would be the diff between a +3 and +4 diopter. Which one would you recommend? It is iether getting a diopter for the dome port or buy a flat port. I guess i will go for the dome port for now until i win the lottery or something :roll:

Antonio

I use a Sigma 28-70mm regularly for fish photography. I think this lens is great. Plus I always use it behind a flat port (with no dioptre) - and have now trouble with it whatsoever. I would get a flat port with a lens like this - and not worry about the dome.

Also - make sure that the lens is not a push-pull zoom - some older Nikon's were. As there is no way to zoom a lens like this UW.

Alex

It's a rotational zoom on the 35-80, but I agree w/ what Alex said. FWIW, the 35-80 is an all-plastic lens.

Cheers

James

Hello Antonio, the difference between the +3 & +4, technically the +3 is closer to what is really needed for an 8" inch dome, it's just harder to find than the +1, +2, +4 kit available, if you can get the Nikon 4T it's 52mm and as double element construction, one thing is certain close-up lens are not all created equal, so get quality you won't regret, if you go the Alex way, (which I prefer you did) then there is no need for any diopter since you will not be focusing on the virtual image of a dome.

Hope this help.

Ok OK! will try and save some more for a flat port! :? Id rather wish to get the dome port and flat port together! Oh yes...

In reply to James thread that the 35-80 is all plastic... see image below. It looks metal to me and for around 80$ I think its a good investmentfor anyone's lens bag...especially at that price. :wink:

Antonio

www.deepsnapper.com

The one James is referring to is the the "D" type that where available with the F50/N50 kit, if you have any form of allergy to plastic, stay away from that one it would be lethal to you :D, the one you have is the good 35-80, 80.00$ is a good deal, you see you just saved money on the lens so now spend it on the flat port ;)

cheers

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements