Sign in to follow this  
apete

Diving in Costa Rica

Some friends are trying to convince to go to Costa Rica with them.

Any recommendations regarding didving there?

I dove in April at the Catalina Islands (Pacific just south of El Ocotal resort) and it was a great dive experience but not a great photographic location. I saw many mantas and they were the largest I have ever seen. Huge schools of grunts and other schooling fish, amazing blennies on the rocks and living in the barnacle shells.

Only downside was the viz was never better than 20'

Cheers

James

If you have time and money, are in a company of avid and fairly experienced divers, and slots are available, consider going to Cocos or Mapelo (about 300 miles offshore, Pacific side). These are generally week-long or longer trips; excellent big-animal diving; considerable surge and frequent currents, often drift-diving, moderate visibility, frequently circa 100 ft deep; nitrox all-but-required. There is only a ranger station at each of these locations -- it is all about diving + a little bit of hiking on Cocos.

I have gone on the Undersea Hunter and Sea Hunter and recommend them highly.

Thanks,

Is all the (good) diving on the west coast?

My friends are going (in a couple of weeks) but they're not divers. IF I go I'll be the only diver and I'll go off diving on my own. Going with the Unsersea Hunter seems like an experience, but I think I should prepare better for a trip like that.

This whole thing may not be a very good idea. It was just a tempting opportunity that came up.

We were just in Costa Rica in November and had a great time(7 days diving and 3 days touring). The diving was good with lots of marine life but be prepared for low vis. Our dive conditions changed daily. 20-50 ft vis. Variable currents and water temps 65-75. We stayed at El Ocotal and had a great time. We dove Catalina and Bat Island. Ronald and

JO-JO were great dive masters.

We booked our trip through Costa Rica Dive. I would highly recommend Rolando Arburola. He coordinated our trip and acted as our personal guide on our adventures to the Arenal volcano, canopy tour and rafting. He pays attention to every detail and could not be more accomidating. We are planning a return trip in May. ;)

Check out our trip report.

http://www.costaricadive.com/tripreport/tendays.htm

Costa Rica's main land is much better spent on the land than in the water in my opinion, the 4x4 ATV tours alongt beaches and rain forest and mountains, jungle canopy tours, surfing, volcanoes etc etc ... its an incredible country but if you want good diving spend the time in cocos etc ... one or 2 trips will suffice in Costa Rica .. if you are on the Guancaste coast you will be able to make it to the Catalina rocks .. which have lots of cool stuff to see but not great photographically. I dived with The Edge in Playa Flamingo They were really good .. very close to the catalina and bat islands .. excellent boat and equipment .. and great staff .. I forget the ladies name who worked on board .. but (excuse me here ladies but this was the most unforgettable part of the diving for everyone on the boat inc. girls) The female divemaster who came out on every trip always wore a thong .. now this isn't a big deal but she also always made a point of helping grab your fins as you came out of the water .. turning around and bending over to put the fins down on the bench infront of you. It was so in ya face you had no idea which way to look .. or even if you should keep trying to get out the water .. that was my costa rica diving highlight ..

Costa Rica is a fantastic place. My wife and I have been twice. The first time we started on the Caribean side (Tortuguero). No diving, too much mud in the water, bad rips. Next we went to Arenal (active volcano) also no diving. We finished up at El Ocatal. I shoot video and got a lot of great shots, harlequin shrimp feeding, more sea horses than I've ever shot, and 8 species of eels.

The next trip we went to Aquila de Osa at Drake's Bay. Very cool resort, close to Corcovado park. Most of the dives were at Cano island which got a little old, but the land trips were incredilble. I got some great shark footage including a macro shark of a pregnant blacktip that let me get right next to her. My son woke us up one morning telling us that there were monkeys on the trees outside our window. Can't beat that.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements