Sign in to follow this  
Rocha

Nikon announcements on Feb 16th.

According to the posts at DPReview, it seems that Nikon will make some announcements tomorrow. I am hoping for a D200, but consensus is that it won't be announced before March.

Yeah, and according to posters on DPreview, and even Thom Hogan, Canon was supposed to make there announcements on Feb 14th...;-)

Cheers

James

They're playing games. I think Canon is waiting for Nikon to go first just like with the D2x and the 1DsII.

I know, I know, this is a dumb post... I originally posted a question about the Sigma 8mm, but like 30 seconds after I posted I found the other thread about it (next time I'll remember to search before I post, not after), I wanted to delete the original post, but I could only change it, for lack of imagination this is the only subject that I came up... ;)

Go look for the thread on the D2Hs showing up on Nikon Norway's site.

The big question now is: 4 MPX and updated noise control circuitry, or 8 MPX with a new sensor?

Tomorrow our time will probably tell.

Craig: for Nikon's sake, I hope it's the latter. Did anyone get any screen-shots from the Nikon Norway site?

Cheers

James

Hi Luiz,

I think we're all hanging out for the D200, just doesn't really smell like one at the moment though does it?

It's already the 16th here (in Aus) so I'm ready for the announcement NOW! ;)

Oh well, hopefully we'll hear something very soon.

Yeah, and according to posters on DPreview, and even Thom Hogan, Canon was supposed to make there announcements on Feb 14th...;-)

They did.

Canon 20Da.

Who said they had to announce everything at once?

:wink:

~Matt Segal

Here's what Nikon will do :

1) Announce a D200 with all the specs. Not give any sort of date on it.

2) Announce that the d2X will be out sometime soon and not on Feb 25th

as announced.

I really hope, for Nikons sake (and all of us invested in Nikon!) that the

D2X kicks A**.

- aLV

:roll:

I'm doubly shocked. Not only is it still 4MP but even more amazingly Nikon do something when they say they will!

Like the D2H, 4MP is useless for me. But we have to remember that this is a focused camera aimed entirely at the Photo-Journalist who shoots mainly for newspapers (where there is no need for more resolution - they want to be able to shoot lots of images, quickly and transfer them quickly etc). 4MP is their target resolution. Its just most of us are not their target market.

I keep hearing very good things about the D2X image quality. There are plenty of them out there being tested etc. And expect a flood of reviews (actually I'll rephrase that as I never want to use the words flood and D2X in the same sentence again), expect an avalanche of reviews and some deliveries in 9 days time.

Alex

...(actually I'll rephrase that as I never want to use the words flood and D2X in the same sentence again), expect an avalanche of reviews and some deliveries in 9 days time.  

Alex

You're obviously not a skier. ;)

At about $500 lower cost than a 1DmkII, I think we'll continue to see mostly white lenses at sporting events.

RE: D2HS

Dear Nikon,

What were you thinking?

Improved performance over the wretched D2H. Now as feature packed as the 1DmkII except for that little note of 1/2 the megapixels.

Oh, it's cheaper than the 1DmkII. That's going to sell a lot of cameras.

Regards,

Nikon User (I know you've heard of us, but....)

What's even more shocking is the MSRP at $3499. Rob Galbraith claims the ISO noise is down and performance is up. Even with all the little tweaks, is it worth the extra $1500? Only time will tell.

The megapixels don't matter as much to many PJs, even some u/w ones. It's just the overall package and value that doesn't sit right. We'll see if enough people buy it orwill it go the same route as the D2H and be discounted due to bad sales.

Scorpio Fish

What didn't you like about the D2H? I liked it when I was out to look for a 8fps camera. Easy to use ergo, nice images despite the noisy higher ISO and the images had nice contrast and color. If Nikon had better weather sealing on their lenses and bodies, I'd have probably bought the D2H instead of the 1D Mk II instead.

I'm doubly shocked. Not only is it still 4MP but even more amazingly Nikon do something when they say they will!  

Like the D2H, 4MP is useless for me. But we have to remember that this is a focused camera aimed entirely at the Photo-Journalist who shoots mainly for newspapers (where there is no need for more resolution - they want to be able to shoot lots of images, quickly and transfer them quickly etc). 4MP is their target resolution. Its just most of us are not their target market.

Alex

[At about $500 lower cost than a 1DmkII, I think we'll continue to see mostly white lenses at sporting events.

I shoot at quite few local sports events and at least on a local level most if not all the pro shooters are using the D2H.

Nikon do white lenses too. ;)

I think the sporting events comment was targeted at the canon adverts as of last year .. like the arial shot of center court wimbledon .. 90% of the lenses are white ... and canon asks .. what do you see? (picture of andre aggassi holding up the plate) A great comeback ...... well we see a lot of our lenses getting put to good use .. ............ or something similar ... imagine just being able to point out facts as your advertising campaign .. how novell an idea.

RE:  D2HS

Improved performance over the wretched D2H.  

I own a D2h and it is most definitely not wretched. I purchased mine because I wanted improved AF performance over my Fuji S2 and the D2H certainly delivers on that count. Since I got the D2H my S2 hasn't left the bag.

Does the D2H have warts...sure. It's noisier than the S2 at high ISO but overall I'm getting better images with the D2H. As a matter of fact, I'm considering housing it. Aquatica, are you listening

Nikon do white lenses too. ;)

I think the sporting events comment was targeted at the canon adverts as of last year .. like the arial shot of center court wimbledon .. 90% of the lenses are white ... and canon asks .. what do you see? (picture of andre aggassi holding up the plate) A great comeback  ...... well we see a lot of our lenses getting put to good use .. ............ or something similar ... imagine just being able to point out facts as your advertising campaign .. how novell an idea.

Yes. There were also a few stories along those lines following the last Olympics as we discussed here:

http://wetpixel.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-6519.phtml

Hmmm, oh well - looks like we'll be waiting for our D200s for a while then...

RE MSRP, I think you'll find that the street price quickly becomes much lower than the 3.5k initially mentioned.

Well, if the D200 is not announced now and only in the fall, then the actual camera probably won't be available before christmas 05, add 6 months to the housing, I figure it is 12-18 months away. So I think I will quit waiting and get a D70, I finally borrowed one from a friend today, and it is faster than I thought (but I am using it with the AFS kit lens, which may be a good option for fish portraits behind a flat port, anybody tried this?).

Alex, how is that D70 review going? You were planning on doing a review on the D70 weren't you? The only thing I don't like about it so far is the very small viewfinder, is it still large enough to compose underwater?

Wretched may be too strong a term.

I only know one person with a D2H. He had only one complaint; noise.

Other issues raised by others on the D2H include:

1) Color rendition, especially skin tones

2) Color shift as you near infrared

The new camera may fix these issues along with some updated features such as metering and an new LCD.

This camera was marketed for the PJ/sports crowd. How can you have a Sport shooting camera with poor noise performance at higher ISO's?

The camera may reach the noise performance of the 1DmkII (no one knows yet), but the 1DmkII offers the same relative level of performance, but with twice the megapixels. Sure, megapixel count isn't the holy grail, but I'd just as soon spend a few extra bucks and get 8 instead of 4.

We've seen a lot of leap frogging with new models from Canon and Nikon, but I don't think the D2Hs leap frogged anything.

As a matter of fact, I'm considering housing it. Aquatica, are you listening

I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Several housing manufacturers have anounced the intent to produce D2X housings. I believe the D2Hs will fit in the same housings. Don't quote me on it, though.

I've owned a D2H for about a year, and I can say unequivocally that the image quality from the camera is better than the D100 I shot prior. I have bumped into rare color shifts, and the noise issue does rear its head IF you underexpose. Well exposed shots are beautiful, and the camera controls highlights much better than my D100 did. The JPEG processing in camera is great so I usually don't need to shoot raw like I did with the D100. Overall, I think it is a very good tool for its intended purpose. Whether or not it matches up to Canon's offering is a matter of individual preference - many agree that the handlin/focusing/metering of the camera is the best in the industry. My big disappointment with the D2Hs is the price, but I guess it will drive up the resale on my D2H once the inventory is gone. It would've been nice if it had been 8mp, but I gotta admit that it was a relief going from 6 to 4 when it came to editing files. I've used it strictly for event photography, and I've yet to find myself wanting more MPs. I think for macro uw it would be an interesting choice - I will try it in my Seacam housing before I order the D2x.

Besides, if it is good enough for Moose and Thom, it is more than good enough for me.

Oh yeah - the flash exposure of this camera is the best we've yet to see in a dSLR. It is interesting that the cameraness of this camera often gets totally discounted in favor of noise and MPs. Fast, precise focus and accurate metering and flash exposure are at least as important (I think more so).

The D2Hs certainly won't convince many Canon-shooting PJ's to switch if that's what you're saying, Herb. Besides, Nikon makes white lenses, too. ;)

Anyone expecting Nikon to be so compelling that they'll convice Canon shooters? I think they'd settle for more modest success. Most PJ's have considerable investments in lenses so he goal for Nikon is to be good enough for their customer base. I can't see the D2Hs having major appeal for the underwater crowd anyway.

It's odd, isn't it? The Canon "high speed" camera is definitely very appealing for underwater use and it makes a darned good topside camera too. I guess "mine goes to 8" is good enough.

I agree that the Nikon's appeal for underwater use isn't as good. For macro photography, you want detail, and having used cameras from 3 to 14 megapixels, I think 4 just isn't good enough.

I think the D2Hs will make a great backup and topsides use camera for underwater photographers that already own the D2x.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements