Sign in to follow this  
Rocha

Nikon announcements on Feb 16th.

I think my plan going forward may be to house the D2H I own already and then upgarde the S2 to a D2X. That way I can have two camera bodies that fit the same housing. Just need to see how good the D2X really is.

The Canon "high speed" camera is definitely very appealing for underwater use and it makes a darned good topside camera too.

James, I can not resist, but this definitely reminds me to your old „Nikon days“ ;):D :

What you don't want is a very high framerate, a sensor designed for high-ISO shooting as a priority, and a cropped sensor with no DX lenses available.   So why is the 1DmkII attractive as an underwater camera?  Beats me...

1. A very high framerate camera used underwater can be taken topside and used.

2. The sensor is great at low ISOs as well. It wasn't necessarily "designed for high-ISO shooting as a priority."

3. Cropped sensor isn't always a bad thing. For macro, it is great, and actually, for wide angle, it's great as well. .........

Julian

Alex, how is that D70 review going? You were planning on doing a review on the D70 weren't you? The only thing I don't like about it so far is the very small viewfinder, is it still large enough to compose underwater?

Hi Luiz,

Today, I think that the D70 is the best F mount camera for UW photography. It is a great camera at a good price. Small, cheap and has lots of housing choices. It has fast flash synch for sunbursts and black background macro etc. It writes RAW quickly.

This picture was taken on the last day I used the D70. And this was in a housing without the GS viewfinder. I had no problem using the top AF sensor and composing this image. But small viewfinders do take getting used to - and whether you are happy with one is entirely subjective.

digij7.jpg

There are lots of D70 housing reviews on Wetpixel:

http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-3-pid-46.phtml

http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-3-pid-45.phtml

http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-3-pid-41.phtml

http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-3-pid-38.phtml

Plus I have a slightly updated version of my D70 Subal review on my own website - that includes pix taken with the camera:

http://www.amustard.com/?page=kit&ext=d70&...ge=photo&size=s

I don't plan to write a review on this camera, now. But I do plan to have a first impressions review of the D2X and Subal's housing for it in the next issue of UWP magazine (out at the start of March). Photos limited to pool shots!

Alex

p.s. The D2Hs is an update of the D2H for the same price - not really a new camera. I suggest we wait 8 days before judging Nikon's latest DSLR.

p.p.s Please can nobody quote old posts of mine because I will certainly contradict myself!

This whole thing just makes me wanna puke. I am silently and patiently waiting for Nikon to come out woth more megapixels, a fill 35mm sensor, reduced noise sensor and bigger DR...all in a DSLR. I love their lenses so I wait for a camera that will give me what I think I can use for several more years. They make these crappy announcements and, like Herb said, who needs 4mp these days? News photographers, sports photographers alike can just set the image to JPG low quality and bang off as many shots as their little hearts desire. What the F in Nikon thinking? Get smart, get lean and bite the fricken bullet...make a decent camera that can compete with Canon...geez.

Joe

Well said Joe!!

It is funny all this talk of new cameras and announcements and the disappointment most people have in a lot of the new cameras in terms of advances.

I went digital because I knew that it would save me all the $$$ I was spending on film and processing and that I would love 80 shots a dive on a 1GB card in RAW on the Fuji S2 and not having to waste the last few shots on a roll of film so I could have 36 shots on the 2nd tank of a dive trip.

I also expected that as digital camera were moving ahead rapidly, I would replace my camera probably every year.

So here we are almost three years on and Canon, while producing better some cameras that are probably better than the S2, are nowhere near superior enough for me to sell all my Nikon lens and make a switch.

The Fuji S3 has about 1/3 of the additional features it should have, and the housing manufacturers don't exist at the moment and it is looking less likely that they will.

Current Nikon models don't justify replacing the S2, and the confidence I have in Nikon right now is not high. The D2X is starting to look compelling, but I need to see more samples before I commit and it is a LOT of money. And the D200 may be better value for money - if only they would tell us about it.

Kodak... Well I have done business with Eastman Kodak before and I really don't like the company as a whole. I didn't like their film (I only shot Fuji Velvia and Provia F in the end and Agfa for B&W). I don't like their business and if a company was ever likley to jump up and bite you in the ass it is these guys. Nikon may ignore you, buy Eastman actually don't like you. *personal grudge statement ends here*

I am at heart a technology guy and I WANT to upgrade. I love new toys and features. However, right now I am struggling to find something to upgrade to - it feels like no one wants my money. And not one camera today is capable of the sun shots out of the camera you could do with film.

Oh btw, I did get all the benefits I had hoped for by going digital. Best decision I ever made.

M

I agree with both of you guys, if I had a digital system, and if it was working satisfactorily for me, I wouldn't be looking into upgrading. My problem is that I am still shooting film! I made a trip to Brazil a couple of weeks ago and I haven't seen my slides yet as they have been sent to Fuji processing. You can't imagine how badly I want a digital system right now.

However, since the D2x is not an option for me, Nikon gives me no choice except to seriously consider a Canon 20D (especially now that Canon has introduced the 60mm macro USM). I've been using a D70 for the last few days, and I find it's autofocus very slow (ok, ok, I am spoiled by my F100 AF). I am still hoping that Nikon will introduce something soon (D200), but I am going to Indonesia in May and I want to carry a digital system. I will wait until late March, and I am even willing to shoot film in Indonesia, but only if Nikon makes the announcement that I am waiting for...

Oh dear Julian

icon_bananahead.gif:):lol:icon_bananahead.gif

zing!

Not one of my finest hours, but it was too tampting ... :D

Julian

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements