Sign in to follow this  
stu1965

the strobe that never worked

I must have really bad luck...feel the need to vent, as I sit here in Grand Turk. I have a DS 125 strobe, a few years old (bought it at dema 2002) I never really used it, and when finally I did, the contacts werent tight, so i sent it back to Ikelite, and they fixed it, no charge. A year later, i take it out of the shipping box, pack it on my trip...and in a single dive, it floods. Talk about fried. Its a mess !

I cant see how I screwed up setting it up. The o-ring looked fine, and for those who have the light know, you just screw it in, twist and lock.

My wife is heartbroken of course, because its her strobe. I guess since the time has passed, its not under warantee..but does anyone have any similar experiences? We're long term Ikelite fans, way back to the Kodak DC260 housing that sits in my closet, along with the Canon G1 housing.

Should I call them or just take the loss and deal with insurance? Im curious to see how others would deal with this, because i have NEVER been able to use this strobe.

Best

Stu

You should ABSOLUTELY call them. I'm sure Ikelite will be able to help you out.

I don't know about your unit, but early model DS125's had a problem with flooding, because the gold pins were too long.

Cheers

James

Include a note saying as per forum instructions, send directly to us for exchange.............

...and for those who have the light know, you just screw it in, twist and lock.

My DS-125 battery back slides on, the latch twists, and then snaps down.

Not sure if you meant "slide" by "screw."

~Matt Segal

Include a note saying as per forum instructions, send directly to us for exchange.............

That's what I call a good customer service! Go Ike!

That's what I call a good customer service! Go Ike!

its what I call a good gathering up of a potentially damaging story on a very popular forum by Ike.

I am sure their customer service is fine .. but if he had rung up without posting here would the same result have happened .. I can't see any manufacturer replacing a flooded strobe for free unless it was a manufacturing problem that caused it ... and even then most would duck and dive away from taking the blame ...

just my opinion (and i know this forum is fairly ike friendly, but a horror story should not get turned into a glory story just because Ike posts here.)

I would like to know the full story here ... for records .. did the strobe have a manufacturing default that was missed on sale and on service ? Or was it photographer error ?

Manufacturing defect is a good guess. Contacts too long between battery and body made sealing borderline on some early models, and the ring on which the toggle pulls would fail occasionally. We have alwayts tried to resolve customer complaints or product problems even without public forum posting as a way of doing business. Every product comes with our commitment to company service like nobody else provides... Nobody!

Hi Giles,

I see where you're coming from, in a general sense. It shouldn't take a loud public complaint or "status" on the internet to get good service.

But in this specific case, and based on stories from friends - many of them in my local society, and not associated w/ Wetpixel at all - Ike's customer service is good, whether you complain in public or not.

I know one guy that sent a strobe in for what he thought of as regular maintenance/service. He called Ikelite up to see if they'd received it, when they would send it back, and how much it would cost. Ikelite's response was that the work had been finished, and they'd already sent the strobe back - free of charge.

I think Ikelite's customer service reputation has been earned and is well-deserved.

Cheers

James

Though I haven't been an Ike user myself since I sold my 4200 litemeter, Ike's customer service is regarded as likely the best in the UW Photo world. I had a friend who's SS200 battery indicator blew out on a dive and Ike gave him a new strobe. This was a few years past the warranty period too!

Stu

A long ways ago, years before joining wetpixel I also sent them my N90 housing which gave me several problems refusing to fire the flash. They replaced the hot shoe connector and didn't charge me anything (not even the mailing back to Brazil, I lived there at the time), and that was after the warranty had ended.

I love their flashes, the only problem I have is with the housings, or the one housing, the SLR-MD which I bought for my F100 and simply hated it, that's why now I have a Sea&Sea.

I think Ikelite's customer service reputation has been earned and is well-deserved.

James

And a lot of other UWP companies provide excellent service, as well. Even without helping out in forums like wetpixel.

Ike is not one to play down support issues with his products in public forums and he's supported users of his competitor's products here before. That's going above and beyond. Thanks, Ike!

Ikelite built its reputation on service and fair prices. Over my years in the business I've used many maufacturers' products, Ike and others.

Ike might not always have the best designs but the company stands by its products and service has always been above board no matter who you are. New products often experience "growing pains". Do you remember the Nikon SB strobe exchanges... No product is devoid of problems, this is why service is so important in our specialty. I only wish Nikon's service was as good as Ikelite...

We have experienced strobe malfunctions and saw Ike update the electronics in the strobes that were sent in for other reasons... usually adding no cost to the the minimal bill.

Most manufacturers strive to satisfy their customers and treat them fairly. And this works both ways.

As for the DS 125, just got new ones and I'm eager to see how they will perform. Ike might not be perfect but I think it sells good products.

Michel

Since this subject is about a failed strobe that hadnt been used, ive had a similar experience. My wife just bought another YS90DX, she took it down 5 times, and it just stopped working. We tried all the obvious, but the electronics are just plain dead. As far as I can tell it's not a flood on the main or cable o ring. We have 5 others, so it isnt a huge deal, but still. Any known problems with the YS90 series? Luckily still under warrenty, on its way back now.

Cor

Just for the record I wasn't trying to be unkind to ikelite .. and what I was trying to express is really hard to put into words that are taken in the right way.

I was mostly saying that a glorious customer service record like this can only come from a begining which must be a horror story.

You may hear lots about Ikelites customer service record ... but i was trying to say ... why should you hear anything at all.

Wouldnt no customer service reputation be better ... if you didnt have to send things back .. if the company didnt have to be fast at fixing things.

There are many people you dont hear from becauset hey dont have problems.

I know many people that dont have problems with Ikelite equipment also .. but I only ever seem to hear about their customer service and no one elses ... I am not being derogatory .. It just occured to me that there had to be a reason for this.

Sorry to interput Cor's well placed topic as i like seeing people use exeisting threads .... I just had to try and clarify i wasn't being obnoxious or anything in my frist post as i know i can sometimes appear that way as i tend to rant rather than express my words.

Good customer service that you're always having to use is not a good deal. :D A product that works as it should is what I want. For those who don't agree, I hear LMI has good customer service, too. ;)

Actually, I had sent an email 2 days before my post. I guess it didnt get there.

Wow is all I can say. I havent cruised this site long enough to even know Ike was a participant. I only wanted a feel to see if others had issues such as mine. Im glad to hear I am not alone, and now I'll have a happier wife who wont have to call our insurance company.

Ike, I have met you several times at DEMA, although I know you have met tons and tons of people, and everyone has always been really cool. I hope this thread was not viewed as a slam because we're huge fans (again, i own two housings), and I was surprised when you guys took the strobe back after the first time, this really blows me away.

Faith is restored once again, and Ill be looking at you guys when the D2X housing comes out (assuming you're making one!), and of course say hi in Vegas later this year.

Best,

Stu

www.stuartphotography.com

Wow, if you all haven't checked out Stuart's portfolio, go to his website - it's a must see. Stuart - I like your glamour photography. Excellent!

Cheers

James

most people wind up checking out my modeling section. Few ever make it to my nature photography, and im obviously trying to better my UW imagry. I have new images to post from Grand Turk, which I will try to post here. Seems like a fun site that Im just now starting to explore.

If I can put it together, Ill be combining fashion/glamour with UW imagery this summer. Lots of planning and safety issues, and yes its been done before, but not by me! lol

Thanks for the kind words!

Best,

Stu

www.stuartphotography.com

My DS-125 just came back from Ike as well. I sent it in for a flash tube and caually mentioned that I might be upgrading to eTTL soon. Mine was a very early number. It came back completely re-built with the eTTL upgrade. I have yet to pay for anything but shipping after buying an Ikelite product. I think I'm going to buy a second one before my next trip.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements