Sign in to follow this  
emdru

Lens for Canon D20

Hello all. I am an experienced above water photographer and diver, but new to underwater photography. I have a D20 with a wide assortment of zoom lens. I am planning to get the Ikelite housing with ettl capablility and the D 125 strobe. My question is what is the best all around lens to take fish portraits and critter close-ups. I assume macro, but what focal length. Ikelite doesn't appear to make a port for my Canon 28-135 IS USM zoom, and I don't have a prime. A friend of mine used a Nikon 60 mm Macro with a D-70 on a recent dive and was very happy, but it seems that the only choice for the canon is a 50 or 100 mm macro.

Thoughts?

Ed Druy

As one who's extensively used the 10D underwater, my suggestion would be the EF-28-405 f3.5-4.5 USM. I use a Subal so don't know if Ike supports this lens, but I've made 20x30 blow-ups from my images made with this lens that will blow your socks off. Shot behind a dome port you're covered from small sharks/seals to 1:2 macro if you use an external diopter like the one sold at http://www.nexusamerica.com

Stewart

Canon has just announced a new EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM macro lens that will work on the 20D, you should look into that. It will be available in April.

I also like the tiny 24-85 USM. Since you're using Ikelite, you're a bit limited in your port choices, or I'd recommend the 70-200 F4L

Cheers

James

I am leaning toward Ikelite because of cost - other housings seem to be twice the price. Are there companies that will make ports that will attach to the Ike housing, but will give me the flexibility of lens choices that Ikelite doesn't?

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Ed Druy

Canon's new EF-S 60mm USM Macro can do 1:1...

~Matt Segal

Canon's new EF-S 60mm USM Macro can do 1:1...

yet another terrific EF-S lens to stick it to us non-EF-S mount Canon owners ;)

I guess the new EF-S 60 mm macro is good if you don't see a 1.3x of FF sensor in your near to mid future. I personally am staying away from EF-S lenses (shooting 20D) so I can carry my lenses forward (too bad I can't say the same about the Subal housing!).

The 50/60mm macro lens is just right for fish portraits. I also use the 60mm on the D70 and I get my best results with this lens. A mid-range zoom will give you a similar focal length but it doesn't have the same sharpness or magnification for close shots that you get with a macro prime.

If you think you will be in the market for a full-frame camera in the next few years (look into your crystal ball, these are in the 5K+ bracket now but maybe will come down eventually) then I would look into the Sigma 50mm. The newly announced Canon 60mm does 1:1 and has a USM for fast focusing. Its very interesting but is limited to digital. If you want versitility go for the Sigma 50mm, it does 1:1 and works on full frame. The Canon 50mm doesn't do 1:1 without diopters.

For real close ups you want the Canon 100mm USM. This focal length has the same magnification as the 50/60mm but gives you a bit more working distance between you and the subject. You need this if you want to get close for good magnification and not spook the critter and also so that you can effectively light it. At 50mm it really isn't practical to get close enough for 1:1 and even if you did you would have more trouble keeping shadows out of the frame than you would at 100.

A bit of perspective is needed here. Ikelite offers ports for just about every lens you will want underwater. Unless you have some very exotic needs you won't have a problem here.

Hi, I agree - it sounds like it works for you.

Sure, the 12-24 fits, but you have to take the lens off if you want to take the camera out of the housing, right? And you have to take the camera out of the housing to change the CF card, right? I change the CF card after every dive and I do 5 dives a day. That's 5 chances to drip water on my camera, put the port on wrong, mess up an o-ring, etc. If you're a Canon owner and you have the 10-22, the setup is awesome. You don't have to take the camera out as you can slightly slide the housing open and get at the card from the side of the camera. If you have a 10D, you just don't get to use a wideangle zoom period - and I know there are a lot of 10D's around - which is a bummer.

Nothing against Ikelite - I have their 20D housing and it's excellent - but each housing has its pros and cons. Whether it's price, port selection, ease of use, weight, etc.

Cheers

James

Speaking of 10-22 I really have not heard a lot about it yet. How many people hear have one and do they have some experiences to share?

Speaking of 10-22 I really have not heard a lot about it yet. How many people hear have one and do they have some experiences to share?

I have one and got the Aquatica zoom ring for it ( thanks Blake ), but have not had time to dive. It's still ski season. ;)

I have one and got the Aquatica zoom ring for it ( thanks Blake ), but have not had time to dive. It's still ski season. :D

Even topside I would be curious. Like a mountain scene... ;)

Or a broken-leg rescue scene...:-)

Hey that's not nice. From my conversations with Herb I know he skis well. Been 2 years since I have been out. Tough to have that hobby and diving and fit that all into one budget and holiday time. Must love diving as I used to work in a ski shop.

I was joking of course. Anyone that's willing to drive 4 hrs to tahoe to ski on the weekends EVERY weekend is probably pretty good. It must have been the jealousy kicking in - I used to live in Berkeley and drive to Kirkwood when they had the $21 "young adult" passes back in the 90's

Cheers

James

Even topside I would be curious. Like a mountain scene... :)

Mountain pics with the 10-22 taken last weekend.

CRW_7069.jpg

CRW_7071.jpg

CRW_7081.jpg

I change the CF card after every dive and I do 5 dives a day.

Wow, you change your card after every dive? Do you use a 512mb?

I use a 1 gb card and always can get at least 2 dives on a card shooting RAW (compressed D70 ~6Mb ea). I can't justify diving more than 2/day with my wife and kids there. As soon as I hit the dock I'm in full on sand-castle mode.

I agree that its a bad idea to open the housing on the boat. The way I work I don't open the housing except on land. I wouldn't want a solution that would require me to open the housing after every dive. If you want to switch lenses for a specific purpose, then you have to open the housing anyway.

I think the best solution would be to look into a larger card. Weather or not you have to open the front, back loosen screws etc. if you have to open the housing after every dive something is wrong. Unless you are on a liveaboard you don't want to deal with laptops or storage devices on the boat either. So going for a bigger card really isn't an expense over multiple smaller cards since the cost per megabyte is about the same.

Every housing has its pros and its cons--Ikelite is no different. I just think you get a lot of value out of Ikelite housings--price, TTL, security etc. I think to say that the port selection is limited is a misleading. Except for the 10D/Sigma 12-24mm, I don't think there is one critical lens missing. And even that may be corrected soon with either the Sigma 10-20 or the 8" dome port.

Besides the poster was asking about the 20D not the 10D. For this camera you have lots of choices with Ikelite ports. Sigma or Canon macro lenses 50-100mm, Sigma or Canon WA 15mm FE and Canon 10-22mm and a midrange zoom with the two Canon kit lenses. Ikelite has ports for much more, but I think that covers the critical UW list.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements